Muhammad Ali 1968 speech on race and marriage

Whereas your comeback is worthy of applause?

For somebody who claims to have been exposing hypocrisy since 2008, his responses are a bit limp… still, don't be too hard on him. It's much easier to act as cheerleader than it is to debate the issue in your own words.

Whereas your comeback is worthy of applause?

I can't be bothered.

For somebody who claims to have been exposing hypocrisy since 2008, his responses are a bit limp… still, don't be too hard on him. It's much easier to act as cheerleader than it is to debate the issue in your own words.

I wasn't aware you were being hypocritical, just ill informed.

ali was a racist pig, the reason he got away with it for so long was because he was a really good salesman and he had most of the halfwitted white liberals on side.

heres some of the derogatory unashamedly racist remarks about j frazier.

quote/“Joe Frazier is an Uncle Tom. He works for the enemy. This was said when Ali criticised Frazier for having a white management team. ” Frazier emphatically replied to this with ”A white lawyer kept him out of jail. And he’s going to Uncle Tom me….”

“He’s the other type *****, he’s not like me… “There are two types of slaves, Joe Frazier’s worse than you to me … That’s what I mean when I say Uncle Tom, I mean he’s a brother, one day he might be like me, but for now he works for the enemy”…

“Joe Frazier should give his face to the Wildlife Fund. He’s so ugly, blind men go the other way. Ugly! Ugly! Ugly! He not only looks bad, you can smell him in another country! What will the people of Manila think? That black brothers are animals.Ignorant. Stupid. Ugly and smelly.”

Comments such as these were especially ungenerous because Frazier had given Ali money while he was banned from boxing and supported the return top boxing.

ali was a racist pig, the reason he got away with it for so long was because he was a really good salesman and he had most of the halfwitted white liberals on side.

Did Ali make those comments 40 years ago too? And are you going to hold them against him for another 40 years?

What Ali said about Frazer was completely wrong, it was an early example of the 'trash talking' which seems to be almost obligatory prior to boxing matches these days.

Joe Frazer was a good man & shouldn't have had to put up with that nonsense. After the third fight with Frazer which Ali won he called Joe Frazer 'the greatest fighter of all times next to me.'

Which was no doubt what he actually thought of Frazer.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 15:52 ----------

Harleyman.

No one is claiming that discrimination was only about African Americans. That however was what Ali was, & therefore it was that particular form of injustice which affected him personally.

My point is simply that he was entitled to react to the situation as he saw fit.

Some people chose a conciliatory path, others chose to show the anger which was simmering.

You say that people like Malcolm X & Ali did nothing to help their cause. Personally I disagree, it is sometimes very helpful to a cause to show that if peaceful agreements can't be reached, other methods may be used.

Gentleness on it's own can be mistaken by the less than bright as a sign of weakness. Sometimes 'turning the other cheek' results in you getting punched twice.

The 'iron hand in a velvet glove' is never a bad ploy.

:hihi: 1-0

I don't really care what you think, you add nothing to my life. :D

There's no point going into great detail when views are so polarized. Will someone after a long winded effort change their view. I doubt it. Will someone believe the links provided by someone of a different view. I doubt it.

I always find it amusing when someone goes to great lengths to write long posts to counter what someone else has said.

There's better ways to spend ones time... :hihi:

Archived