Muhammad Ali 1968 speech on race and marriage

I believe all races are equal.The KKK represent white supremacy. They consider themselves to be superior to other races, and practice discrimination and violence. As well as not supporting that, I utterly condemn that practice.

If anything I have said previously is defined by you and others as supporting racism, that's your problem.

But Ali supported Black supremacy. This is what I'm getting at. He's allowed to get away with such guff because he's black. What do you think about that? Isn't he as bad? Why are you and other ignoring the fact that he's a racist, or making excuses for him?

Of course you are entitled to your opinions but you agreeing with the KKK is not my problem, its very much yours.

I seem to be the only one who condemns both. I appreciate your still here trying to wangle your way out of it. At least you have the balls to stick around, unlike the others who have scurried back to their haven :D

But Ali supported Black supremacy. This is what I'm getting at. He's allowed to get away with such guff because he's black.

If he 'gets away with it' I think it's not because he's black, but because of what being black in America represented in the 60's-second class citizens, victims of oppression etc etc.

To be fair there were lots of whites getting away with much worse than provocative language in the southern states of America for decades prior to Ali's pronouncements.

If he 'gets away with it' I think it's not because he's black, but because of what being black in America represented in the 60's-second class citizens, victims of oppression etc etc.

To be fair there were lots of whites getting away with much worse than provocative language in the southern states of America for decades prior to Ali's pronouncements.

So would you agree a white person who suffers racial discrimination at the hands of blacks is entitled to then act in a racist way, in retaliation, and you would support this?

My comment was a joke..Ali's Irish ancestry is well known!

Fair enough, I'm a little sensitive on the matter due to years of smart remarks from England fans with regard to Ireland footballers ancestry.

Coming from a nation of 56 million that has no problem selecting John Barnes, born in Jamaica Terry Butcher Singapore, Tony Dorigo Australia, Owen Hargreaves Canada & a whole host of other non English born players I think it's a bit rich. :)

Sorry if it came over wrong. :)

So would you agree a white person who suffers racial discrimination at the hands of blacks is entitled to then act in a racist way, in retaliation, and you would support this?
Forgive me, but I wasn't making excuses for Ali, I was offering reasons why he 'got away' with what he said, which seemed to be your point. However you seemed to miss the point that people of all colours got away with it in the 60's.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 11:21 ----------

Fair enough, I'm a little sensitive on the matter due to years of smart remarks from England fans with regard to Ireland footballers ancestry.

Coming from a nation of 56 million that has no problem selecting John Barnes, born in Jamaica Terry Butcher Singapore, Tony Dorigo Australia, Owen Hargreaves Canada & a whole host of other non English born players I think it's a bit rich. :)

Sorry if it came over wrong. :)

No worries fella/ma'am :)

Forgive me, but I wasn't making excuses for Ali, I was offering reasons why he 'got away' with what he said, which seemed to be your point. However you seemed to miss the point that people of all colours got away with it in the 60's.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 11:21 ----------

No worries fella/ma'am :)

Old fella. :)

Do you have the obligatory red eyes and green hair Janie? ;)

:hihi: Of course I do.

I seem to be the only one who condemns both. I appreciate your still here trying to wangle your way out of it. At least you have the balls to stick around, unlike the others who have scurried back to their haven :D

Those others may not have as much time for leisure as I do...lucky me.

I hope they'll be back on top form in due course to correct you. :)

May I join in? :). In the event of someone being targeted & harmed for purely racial reasons I would find it understandable, if regrettable, that they reacted in that way.

It makes no difference what race they are themselves, that would apply to anyone.

Whilst it maybe wrong to blame all members of the guilty party's race for the attack it does have some reason for adopting the attitude behind it.

The people that I would condemn outright are those who have never had any trouble of any kind with other races but have taken it upon themselves to spout bigoted racist rubbish for no apparent reason. They are pathetic in my opinion.

As mentioned before, Ali had plenty of reasons to dislike white people but in fact I don't think he did, he was simply angry & lashing out at the injustice of the system.

He was arguably the greatest boxer who ever lived, & a man who influenced the society in which he found himself by showing by his character that people of African descent are equal to anyone.

If your problem with him is his refusal to fight in Vietnam then I have to say that I wouldn't fight for a country which had laws in place which defined me as inferior to other citizens either.

Whilst he may be a sick man now he will always count, & will be remembered long after all of us are forgotten.

What laws were they? :huh: In 1968 th year of his speech civil rights laws had been passed and were in effect.

Now maybe down south in some of the old Confederate states they still had drinking fountains labelled "Whites only " and "colored" and maybe if a black American went into some diner or restauarant the service might not have been all that hot or the dirty looks cast his way but in 1968 Jim Crow was on it's way out even down south. Those southern states were not a "country" and there were no laws in place in the Federal government defining him as "inferior to other citizens"

Fact is Muhammed Ali just didnt want to be drafted and found a very handy excuse to avoid it.

Dont forget that much of the money he made came from whites who paid to see him fight. He didint do to badly in the country of his birth but maybe he should after refusing the draft, just moved up to Canada and stayed there like the rest of the draft dodgers

Archived