URGENT HELP- FAILED MOT, even though one was issued last month

On 28th December I paid 100 deposit for a car. The dealer told me he needed 1 week to get the car ready. After 1 week I went to collect the car. I paid the rest and I got the car. At home I realized there have been some changes to the car, so I went to have the car tested for another MOT. Unfortunately, it did not pass. The dealer changed the tyres which influenced the MOT results. Plus the battery needs changing. After 1 mile, the light on board was on.

The reason for refusal was 001 nearside front suspension arm rubber bush bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

The MOT issued in December had only one advisory item: 001 N/S/F Wishbone bush splitting up.

If it is really true, then it shouldn't have passed the first time, right?

I was thinking about going to the garage where the first MOT was issued and talk to them. After this, I want to talk to the dealer and sort out the tyres and the battery. I doubt he will be sympathetic . He had changed the wiper blades and when I asked him about them, he didnt react very well, he got annoyed and started swearing.

The car drives ok, so I would like to keep it but somebody has to pay for the repairs. Obviously, I have already paid a deposit for car insurance.

To have the repairs done if nothing else will be discovered to be wrong, I will have to pay around 500 pounds. In my opinion, the garage is to be blamed for the mechanical problems and the dealer for changing car parts. The dealer gave me a useless 3 months warranty which does not cover this. The form for the warranty is wrong. I called him and asked about it. He told me to get a pen and change the wrong details. How can I get this sorted out? I have 10 days to have the repairs done and have the car tested for another MOT.

Get in touch with Trading standards and vosa, if the mot is suspect than vosa will inspect the car and if proved something is Suspect the mot tester will be in the ****.

Trading standards will advise you how to deal with the car dealer in regards the warranty.

The advisory on the mot is saying the bush was deteriorating so it may be a case of bad luck that it has gone.

On 28th December I paid 100 deposit for a car. The dealer told me he needed 1 week to get the car ready. After 1 week I went to collect the car. I paid the rest and I got the car. At home I realized there have been some changes to the car, so I went to have the car tested for another MOT. Unfortunately, it did not pass. The dealer changed the tyres which influenced the MOT results. Plus the battery needs changing. After 1 mile, the light on board was on.

The reason for refusal was 001 nearside front suspension arm rubber bush bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

The MOT issued in December had only one advisory item: 001 N/S/F Wishbone bush splitting up.

If it is really true, then it shouldn't have passed the first time, right?

I was thinking about going to the garage where the first MOT was issued and talk to them. After this, I want to talk to the dealer and sort out the tyres and the battery. I doubt he will be sympathetic . He had changed the wiper blades and when I asked him about them, he didnt react very well, he got annoyed and started swearing.

The car drives ok, so I would like to keep it but somebody has to pay for the repairs. Obviously, I have already paid a deposit for car insurance.

To have the repairs done if nothing else will be discovered to be wrong, I will have to pay around 500 pounds. In my opinion, the garage is to be blamed for the mechanical problems and the dealer for changing car parts. The dealer gave me a useless 3 months warranty which does not cover this. The form for the warranty is wrong. I called him and asked about it. He told me to get a pen and change the wrong details. How can I get this sorted out? I have 10 days to have the repairs done and have the car tested for another MOT.

do not change or let him change any details, it is a way of invalidating your warranty. speak to consumer direct and the DVLA place that deals with MOT places. they can independently examine your vehicle and if there is reason to believe an innacurate/fraudulent MOT has been carried out/issued, they can remove a garage's MOT licence to operate.

i bought a vehicle from a dealer on penistone road which had been MOT'd by a garage on capel street. after a few days, i realised things were not right so i took it somewhere else for a MOT which it failed with a few faults. i got the dealer to have some put right, but it still had the clutch fail on the M5 3 months later. i told him it was on its way out at the time.

I doubt it was a matter of bad luck. It worn out too soon. I could test the car for less than 2 miles because the dealer said they had no insurance to drive the car on the motorway. It was more like drive around the block test. The dealer knew what he did. The tyres, the wiper blades etc

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 20:08 ----------

consumer direct is closed. Any suggestions? Thank you.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 20:41 ----------

I emailed VOSA and Trading Standard Services to request advice. Can I drive the car in the meantime or is it an offence?

I doubt it was a matter of bad luck. It worn out too soon. I could test the car for less than 2 miles because the dealer said they had no insurance to drive the car on the motorway. It was more like drive around the block test. The dealer knew what he did. The tyres, the wiper blades etc

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 20:08 ----------

consumer direct is closed. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Why will the repairs cost £500,what exactly needs repairing.

I got an estimate from the garage: 2 tyres, one battery and suspension arm. Disposal costs, new valve and wheel balancing included. I have already paid for an MOT and I will have to pay 28 quid in 10 days when it is due to be checked again.

The warranty I got is from Driver Care. I was told by the dealer that it was worth 50 quid. It covers engine, gearbox and final drive only up to 250 quid with some restrictions. I showed the policy to the garage staff and I was told it does not cover for replacin the suspension arm.

They are kinda disposable in a way which is probably why they ain't covered.

The bushes/balljoints wear out over time and it's dead easy to bend em if you hit a pothole too hard.

Having said that they're usually not too expensive to replace when they do need it tho.

Archived