URGENT HELP- FAILED MOT, even though one was issued last month

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

From the above link.

If you think your car has passed incorrectly

Contact your local VOSA office as soon as possible - you can find the address from your MOT test station or by calling 0300 123 9000. Find out about call charges.

If your complaint is accepted, you’ll get an appointment within 5 working days to recheck your vehicle for free as long as:

no more than 3 months has passed since the MOT test if it’s a corrosion-related problem

no more than 28 days has passed for other defects

You’ll get an inspection report listing any vehicle defects and advisory items.

On 28th December I paid 100 deposit for a car. The dealer told me he needed 1 week to get the car ready. After 1 week I went to collect the car. I paid the rest and I got the car. At home I realized there have been some changes to the car, so I went to have the car tested for another MOT. Unfortunately, it did not pass. The dealer changed the tyres which influenced the MOT results. Plus the battery needs changing. After 1 mile, the light on board was on.

The reason for refusal was 001 nearside front suspension arm rubber bush bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

The MOT issued in December had only one advisory item: 001 N/S/F Wishbone bush splitting up.

If it is really true, then it shouldn't have passed the first time, right?

I was thinking about going to the garage where the first MOT was issued and talk to them. After this, I want to talk to the dealer and sort out the tyres and the battery. I doubt he will be sympathetic . He had changed the wiper blades and when I asked him about them, he didnt react very well, he got annoyed and started swearing.

The car drives ok, so I would like to keep it but somebody has to pay for the repairs. Obviously, I have already paid a deposit for car insurance.

To have the repairs done if nothing else will be discovered to be wrong, I will have to pay around 500 pounds. In my opinion, the garage is to be blamed for the mechanical problems and the dealer for changing car parts. The dealer gave me a useless 3 months warranty which does not cover this. The form for the warranty is wrong. I called him and asked about it. He told me to get a pen and change the wrong details. How can I get this sorted out? I have 10 days to have the repairs done and have the car tested for another MOT.

Reminds me of a place near the Wednesday ground. I had no end of trouble from a car sales place there.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 21:51 ----------

I emailed VOSA and Trading Standard Services to request advice. Can I drive the car in the meantime or is it an offence?

Even if it isnt an offense i wouldnt risk it.

Unfortunately,2 bit dealers tend to put a lot of work in the M.O.T centre's direction,and in return,they tend to look after the dealer.

I have also had different results from 2 garages on the same car!

And...the car already had an advisory from the previous M.O.T,which didn't get flagged by either garage lol.

I would let the dealer know you were going to contact VOSA regarding the first MOT,they might try and keep you quiet with an offer.........then grass on em! lol

I went to a garage in Bradford & my car failed its MOT . I went to my mechanic in Sheffield & it passed .

Agreed. One testing station's advisory might be another's fail, especially a tester as "stringent" as Kwik Fit if you know what I mean!

It is also possible that the OPs advisory item got worse between the first MOT and the second.

An MOT certificate is really only a snapshot of the car's condition on that day. Anything could happen after that - wear & tear, swapping of parts and so on.

I doubt it was a matter of bad luck. It worn out too soon. I could test the car for less than 2 miles because the dealer said they had no insurance to drive the car on the motorway. It was more like drive around the block test. The dealer knew what he did. The tyres, the wiper blades etc

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 20:08 ----------

consumer direct is closed. Any suggestions? Thank you.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 20:41 ----------

I emailed VOSA and Trading Standard Services to request advice. Can I drive the car in the meantime or is it an offence?

What was the problem with the changed tyres and wiper? Did he put older ones on?

It doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to go from an advisory on a bush to 'bush needs replacing' in a month. It has to go over the tipping point eventually doesn't it, and it could be simply down to how strict the inspector is, it's a matter of judgement after all.

Changing a bush shouldn't cost £500 though...

I can't understand how it's gone from a worn out bush to a wanting new suspension arm. Unless its the main suspension strut/coil spring needs replacing then other parts like anti roll bar links, track rod ends, wish bone bushes only cost a few quid each and are simple to fit. Also i never take my car to MOT stsations that also do repairs.

It's often quicker (and therefore) cheaper to replace the entire arm.

If you're just doing one bush you've gotta take the arm off (without ruining the old balljoint), press the old bush out, press a new bush in and re-assemble.

or you can get a brand new arm in, with all new bushes and balljoints and swap one for the other in a matter of minutes.

Also don't forget to factor in that the old arm may have another bush or balljoint thats 'on it's way' and/or it could be bent from pothole damage anyway - so there's really not much point in installing new bushes.

Archived