Best way to drive to Gloucester on Friday evening?

Hi all, just wondering, I need to be in Gloucester on Friday night, and I'm leaving from Queen's Road after work on Friday evening at around 5 pm.

Which way is the best (quickest) to get down there? Obviously I've looked at Google maps, but that says to go out the Parkway, followed by the M1, A42/M42 and then M5. I'm worried about how busy the M1 and the M42 around Birmingham will be on Friday evening, so I'm not so sure it's such a good idea.

Is it best to go into Chesterfield and then join the M1 there? I've done that before heading south because it's a few miles shorter and never got held up, but I don't know if it's such a good idea on Friday evening? It also mentions going off the M1 near Derby and going down the A38 and then the M6 toll and then the M42 and M5? Is that worth doing?

Anyone got any advice on what way will get me down to Gloucester the quickest:)? Thanks in advance.

I thought a GPS worked out the quickest way. Why not buy one.

I thought a GPS worked out the quickest way. Why not buy one.

You can believe that if you want, but local knowledge always wins out over satnav.

I once had a nightmare journey in Italy because I believed what the satnav told me. It took me down the spine of Italy along twisty tracks through the Apennine mountains rather than down the coastal Autostrada.

Archived