Has anyone heard that your eyeballs can freeze

Yes and no - your eyeballs dont freeze but your tears do. I've had it in the Alps in winter when I forgot my goggles - walked outside and it was cold so I blinked, and my eyelids wouldn't open, they were gummed up with frozen lashes.

Apply the backs of the gloves over your eyes and they unfreeze so you can blearly walk back inside to get your goggles... It was about -40C or thereabouts.

no but iv heard ya eyes can "STAND UP" our 3yr old grandson cam eto saty over weekend to give his beloved grandad his birthday present, so iv handed him the present and he says "grandad, close your eyes, dont stand em up" he obviouly meant dont open them, it was soo funny KIDS SAY THE FUNNIEST THINGS!!!!

I saw a documentary long ago about Yakutsk in Siberia. Apparently new arrivals at the airport and rail station were taken to a room and lectured on the need to protect themselves, especially their faces, against the intense cold, before being allowed out on the street. Probably the likeliest place to freeze your eyeballs!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_eyeballs_freeze#slide=&article=Can_your_eyeballs_freeze

says your eyeballs can only freeze when the whole body is lethally chilled, and there's no circulation to keep them warm.

I haven't read of any Polar or mountain explorer getting frozen eyeballs.

in the wilds of northern Norway, by the way. Searching for the Northern lights. A wasted trip as it happened because of cloud.

We wasted a trip to a famous waterfall; the water was diverted for hydro-power, and only allowed over the fall at certain times for tour groups.

When they find out how to harness the power of the Northern Lights, we may never see them again!

Archived