Charity reveals average rough sleeper dies aged 39

A homelessness charity in Scotland has said the average age of death for the rough sleepers it worked with across its services is 39.

The internal data collected by Streetwork, which worked with around 4,000 people last year, was for the financial year 2012/13.

Claire Gibson, chief executive of the charity, said for most people 39 would be considered ‘the prime of their life’.

She said: ‘Thirty-nine years old. For most it is considered the prime of their life. For Streetwork, it was the average age of death on the streets last year. Streetwork aims to be there to stop that happening.

‘In these times of austerity measures we see despair, desperation and destitution on the streets. Welfare reform, unemployment and the chronic shortage of housing are impacting on the routes off the street. Streetwork is on the streets of Edinburgh 365 days a year reaching people in crisis but we must do more to mitigate the inevitable increase of crisis and rough sleeping in our capital city.’

National homelessness charity Crisis estimated the average age of death for rough sleepers in England to be 47.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/charity-reveals-average-rough-sleeper-dies-aged-39/7001489.article

Scotland's rough sleepers are dying on average at the age of 39.

England's rough sleepers are dying on average at the age of 47.

The housing crisis is a health crisis.

The NHS should be building houses.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/charity-reveals-average-rough-sleeper-dies-aged-39/7001489.article

Scotland's rough sleepers are dying on average at the age of 39.

England's rough sleepers are dying on average at the age of 47.

The housing crisis is a health crisis.

The NHS should be building houses.

Why should the National Heath Service build homes? Last time I looked, they were in the business of health, not construction.

The real truth is that 85 percent people who end up on the street do so because of drugs, alcoholism or criminal activities which have gotten them prison time.

We live in societies that allow us freedom of choice. For those of us who chose to stay on the straight and narrow there is no obligation to feel guilt or have to pay even more money to governments to support them in comfort and ensure a longevity far beyond that which the bodies they so badly abused are capable of.

The real truth is that 85 percent people who end up on the street do so because of drugs, alcoholism or criminal activities which have gotten them prison time.

We live in societies that allow us freedom of choice. For those of us who chose to stay on the straight and narrow there is no obligation to feel guilt or have to pay even more money to governments to support them in comfort and ensure a longevity far beyond that which the bodies they so badly abused are capable of.

That might have been true once, but I don't think it's a fair assumption these days. I believe one of the biggest causes of homelessness is marriage breakup, and debt.

Dangerously smug actually.

Proof?

Lots of the people who end up addicted to alcohol and other drugs do so because of traumatic life events including the effects of war, child abuse, rape etc.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:20 ----------

Why should the National Heath Service build homes? Last time I looked, they were in the business of health, not construction.

We used to have a Minister for Health and Housing, as they are interlinked.

Housing in this country now is in such a state that the housing crisis has become a health crisis. Poor housing = poor health.

Proof?

Lots of the people who end up addicted to alcohol and other drugs do so because of traumatic life events including the effects of war, child abuse, rape etc.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:20 ----------

We used to have a Minister for Health and Housing, as they are interlinked.

Housing in this country now is in such a state that the housing crisis has become a health crisis. Poor housing = poor health.

Yeah, used to is the key. So, the ever so thin NHS budget should be spent on housing for people who probably choose to live the way they do?

Where do you get your figure of 85%? You've clearly made it up.

It could be that homelessness drives people to drugs, alcohol and crime.

I used to chat to Neil who was always in the Waitrose roundabout at the end of Ecclesall Road. He was an ex-squaddie. I haven't seen him for about 18 months now. I know he was on smack and I'd give him clothes - never money - but he'd sell them for food and drugs. Then I stopped seeing him so I assume he died. I've also seen him in Broomhill in the past but not for over 2 years.

10% of prisoners are ex-soldiers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-in-10-prisoners-is-a-former-soldier-new-research-reveals-7944479.html

10% of rough sleepers are ex-soldiers:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/9000-ex-service-personnel-homeless-after-2071049

Shelter's chief executive Campbell Robb was paid £120,000 last year while the number of staff paid over £60,000 increased from five to eight.

I bet Mr Robb has no problem sleeping at night. And he and his chuggers expect ME to dig deep?

Shelter's chief executive Campbell Robb was paid £120,000 last year while the number of staff paid over £60,000 increased from five to eight.

Which I suppose is a reasonable renumeration package, when you're dealing with a budget of tens a million a year.

Feel free to have a look thorough their annual reports :)

http://www.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/373518/Shelter_annual_report_2010-2011.pdf

Archived