Childline - racist bullying on the up.

According to Childline racist bullying is on the increase in our schools, up 69% in 2013 as compared to the previous year. Many fear this is driven by the current right wing dominated antipathy towards immigration - and by extension, immigrants. Islamophobic bullying is sadly and predictably one of the major problems.

Report in the Independent here - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/racist-bullying-farright-agenda-on-immigration-being-taken-into-classrooms-9045148.html

from reading the papers/hearing adults talk about immigrants coming here taking jobs etc / suicide bombers add more to the list if you like :roll:

What do you think we can do to change it? If you were a head teacher, how would you tackle it in your school?

My mrs mate was a classroom assistant who wears a Hijaab and some little 14yr old knob ripped it off her head and shouted racial abuse at her a couple of months back at hinde house school, sad really....

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:16 ----------

from reading the papers/hearing adults talk about immigrants coming here taking jobs etc / suicide bombers add more to the list if you like :roll:

Some learn it from their parents.

What do you think we can do to change it? If you were a head teacher, how would you tackle it in your school?
zero tolerance/ and not be afraid to dish out punishments without any interference from parents of all races would be a start.feel free to add your thoughts:|

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:24 ----------

Some learn it from their parents.
too true mafya they need educating too :|

Which reality is it that leads to racist bullying?

We have TV news one every weekday morning over breakfast and while we get ready for work and kids ready for school. Whenever there is a major terror incident, the report almost always includes the word's Islam/Islamism/Muslims.

My eight year old daughter is a fairly smart kid, after one such incident she innocently said "is it Muslims again?". She worked that much out for herself. My answer was "Yes it is" because anything else would have been a lie. I don't think she thought it, but I had to tell her that not all Muslims are terrorists.

zero tolerance/ and not be afraid to dish out punishments without any interference from parents of all races would be a start.feel free to add your thoughts:|

It would be a start, but I was thinking more about the messages we can give to children in order to prevent the bullying in the first instance, rather than what we do after the fact.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:28 ----------

We have TV news one every weekday morning over breakfast and while we get ready for work and kids ready for school. Whenever there is a major terror incident, the report almost always includes the word's Islam/Islamism/Muslims.

My eight year old daughter is a fairly smart kid, after one such incident she innocently said "is it Muslims again?". She worked that much out for herself. My answer was "Yes it is" because anything else would have been a lie. I don't think she thought it, but I had to tell her that not all Muslims are terrorists.

I'm sure your daughter wouldn't dream of taunting or teasing any Muslim classmates or doing the same to Czech or Roma kids - but what about the kids that would do so? Where does the blame lie? I'd suggest it would lie fairly squarely with the parents - and to a much smaller degree, the school.

It would be a start, but I was thinking more about the messages we can give to children in order to prevent the bullying in the first instance, rather than what we do after the fact.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:28 ----------

I'm sure your daughter wouldn't dream of taunting or teasing any Muslim classmates or doing the same to Czech or Roma kids - but what about the kids that would do so? Where does the blame lie? I'd suggest it would lie fairly squarely with the parents - and to a much smaller degree, the school.

Government, and the last lot actually apologized on TV last night.

Archived