Childline - racist bullying on the up.

They were talking about how they got there immigration policies wrong, to many, to fast and no public consultations. They said sorry.

How does that translate into racist bullying in schools? What's the process?

You should be telling me, because you seam to know more about racists, islamophobia and xenophobia than most people.

It appeared that you thought there was a link between immigration and racist bullying in schools, as you'd said you thought the government was to blame.

I was assuming that if you believe the two things are linked that you'd have some idea why. Perhaps I was mistaken.

They were talking about how they got there immigration policies wrong, to many, to fast and no public consultations. They said sorry.

Government, and the last lot actually apologized on TV last night.

They admitted that the last Government got it wrong to leave a loophole in agency legislation which meant immigrants could be paid lower wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25607578

It appeared that you thought there was a link between immigration and racist bullying in schools, as you'd said you thought the government was to blame.

I was assuming that if you believe the two things are linked that you'd have some idea why. Perhaps I was mistaken.

So you don't think there is any link at all between this alleged increase in racism, islamophobia and xenophobia with the increase in immigration over the past decade.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 22:19 ----------

They admitted that the last Government got it wrong to leave a loophole in agency legislation which meant immigrants could be paid lower wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25607578

And they also apologised for that.

So you don't think there is any link at all between this alleged increase in racism, islamophobia and xenophobia with the increase in immigration over the past decade.

Yes, I do think there's a linkage, but I was interested in what other peoples views on what that link might be and the mechanism by which these things are connected.

It would be a start, but I was thinking more about the messages we can give to children in order to prevent the bullying in the first instance, rather than what we do after the fact.

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 21:28 ----------

I'm sure your daughter wouldn't dream of taunting or teasing any Muslim classmates or doing the same to Czech or Roma kids - but what about the kids that would do so? Where does the blame lie? I'd suggest it would lie fairly squarely with the parents - and to a much smaller degree, the school.

what would you do to stop this ?what messages would you give?

I wonder at what age a child starts to be aware that someone looks different and/or speaks differently? My older grandchildren go to an all white primary school, there are no children in either of their classes who are not white British, but bullying could still happen for reasons other than racism.

They use a buddy system where the smallest children have an older child to help and support them for the first year or so. Perhaps in schools that have children from a variety of backgrounds it might be an idea to use a buddy system to encourage children to mix and accept each other.

Archived