Made in UK Clothing brands

Howies sell an "Outback Jacket" for £89 (usual price £135).

Even at the regular price it has to be better value than those £4 to make, £150 priced Burberry polo shirts.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 08:41 ----------

Actually, if you look through the Howies website you'll see the following

Made in Portugal (Kaizen Selvedge Jeans)

Made in China (Classic Merino Base Layer)

Made in Portugal (Airman Wool Wadded Ventile Jacket)

Made in China (Penn Merino Boxers)

Made in Portugal (Ridge Mid Layer)

Most of their men's stuff seems to be made in Portugal, with the rest in China.

I don't know what classes as made in the UK. There was a famous brand of Sheffield cutlery that was made in Korea and brought into Sheffield for a polish and silver plate. Lots of British beef is imported, left in a field for 3 weeks before slaughter.

I know of clothing where cloth blanks are cut in Sri Lanka and shipped to the UK to be machine sewed.

An item is made in the UK if it is manufactured in the UK basically. I did not know that the Howie brand is actually started when a couple of people bought out the factory that Burberry decided to close down, and therefore saved the skills of the workers. I did read a little bit about the Howie brand. Apparently, Timberland bought them out, and was a part of a global conglomerate. Then they decided to let them go. Respect to them for doing so.

http://www.howies.co.uk/brainfood/2012/01/on-our-own-two-feet/

I did buy one of those BF jacket before, but I lost it on a train. It is somewhere in Scotland. Oh my God. But yes, it was so well made for under 100. Even a coat in Debenhams can cost around 100. It was so warm and it was so well made.

I do not mind paying for a coat around this price, or around the 200 region if it lasts me a good few years as a multifunctional coat. The cost of living is around that price range anyway. Why buy many when you can buy one ?

I am not sure if this company will be at risk from being taken over again by another big label. But for now they do design their own jackets, and I believe that they are indeed trying to bring back sustainabilities. For example, their fillings are from a local source.

Just for comparison, on the Burberry website now, apparently, you can get a trench coat custom made, and they are not charging around 1900 for one ! Inflated economy or what ? I could not believe it.

Archived