Christmas Sales Down For Retailers

Three high street giants were brought down to size today as Morrisons, Marks & Spencer and Tesco all revealed they had a disappointing Christmas.

Morrisons suffered the hardest as sales slumped 5.6 per cent in the six weeks to January 5 on a like for like basis compared with a year earlier.

At Marks & Spencer, sales in the all-important general merchandise, which includes womenswear, was down 2.5 per cent- worse than analysts had expected – on a like for like basis in the 13 weeks to December 28 compared with last year.

Tesco saw sales drop 2.4 per cent in the on like for like basis, with chief executive Phil Clarke blaming tough trading in groceries with customers shifting to discounters, online and convenience stores.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/retailers-hit-by-disappointing-christmas-sales-9048261.html

Now I live near Crystal Peaks so I naturally use Sainsbury's, Iceland and local markets.

I wonder if the recent news about Marks & Spencer allowing religious staff to refuse meat and alcohol sales might be the deciding factor as well as the horse meat scandal rocking Tesco in recent years.

I'd reckon that your local independent retailers have had it a lot worse. Some reckon their sales were down anything up to 50%. Who can keep going with losses like that? Is the day of the suburban shopping centre over?

Tesco saw sales drop 2.4 per cent in the on like for like basis, with chief executive Phil Clarke blaming tough trading in groceries with customers shifting to discounters, online and convenience stores.

This.

Tesco is TOO BLOODY EXPENSIVE, even more so than many corner shops for certain items, but Tesco just chant "Every little helps" and lie about how they are the cheapest supermarket around and you will all flock there like the Lemmings that you are.

Shame on you all for shopping at Tesco :nono:

I wonder if the recent news about Marks & Spencer allowing religious staff to refuse meat and alcohol sales might be the deciding factor as well as the horse meat scandal rocking Tesco in recent years.

The non-story about M&S was too late to affect Christmas sales, but the horsemeat scandal will have affected Christmas food sales, specially as most supermarkets were tainted.

Apart from the fall at M&S was in non-food items, so food sales weren't down.

Supermarkets were pretty rammed whenever I went before xmas, I guess people just bought a little less.

To be fair Morissons could probably totally turn around that 5% loss if they got rid of those completely rubbish self-service tills :mad:

How they can make them so bad is beyond me???

To be fair Morissons could probably totally turn around that 5% loss if they got rid of those completely rubbish self-service tills :mad:

How they can make them so bad is beyond me???

You mean there are worse self-service tills than the ones at Tesco and Sainsbury's :o

oh yea definatley, they're the worst ones out there.

"Put the item in the bag"

"take the last item out of the bag"

"put the item in the bag"

"please wait for assistance"

All I want to do is buy a sandwich!!!!!

They also had a problem before xmas with the machines not being able to differentiate between a £2 and an Iranian 250 Rial coin (worth a few pence).

Archived