Christmas Sales Down For Retailers

I mainly shop at Morrisons & Sainsburys because they are close to me, but prefer shopping at Waitrose.

Yes Waitrose IS more expensive on quite a few items, but the quality of the products is above and beyond the other supermarkets - we bought some 'party' food from Waitrose and a few days later needed to get some more, so popped to Sainsburys - Sainsburys was dreadful in comparison

the one in most morissons seems to be able to only hold half a bags worth of stuff, and considering they've made their bags thinner you don't really fancy putting much heavy stuff in one - so you end up doing abit of a balancing act.

Tesco have done exactly the same with their 'new' carrier bags - now with less plastic (definitely true) but as strong as the old ones (an outright lie) :rolleyes:

I'm using coal sacks to carry my shopping now.

Tesco have done exactly the same with their 'new' carrier bags - now with less plastic (definitely true) but as strong as the old ones (an outright lie) :rolleyes:

I'm using coal sacks to carry my shopping now.

Yet, earlier on in the thread, you slated anyone for shopping at TESCO! Make your mind up, you either do shop with TESCO, or you don't!

For the record, I do not believe that TESCO is expensive at all. Plus, their loyalty card, the Clubcard, is far superior to the Sainsbury's Nectar card, and Asda don't have a loyalty card at all. Don't think Waitrose do either, and they are VERY expensive!

I do like Aldi though for certain things, and use Home Bargains for quite a lot of stuff too.

Yet, earlier on in the thread, you slated anyone for shopping at TESCO! Make your mind up, you either do shop with TESCO, or you don't!

For the record, I do not believe that TESCO is expensive at all. Plus, their loyalty card, the Clubcard, is far superior to the Sainsbury's Nectar card, and Asda don't have a loyalty card at all. Don't think Waitrose do either, and they are VERY expensive!

I may be of limited intelligence, but I think that anybody who shops at Tesco, including me, is daft.

You don't think you're being ripped off when you shop there.

Well I know I'm being ripped off when I shop there. But I still go. Occasionally. When they're selling the things I need at half price.

Which means I'm not that daft after all.

So that's OK.

I do like Aldi though for certain things, and use Home Bargains for quite a lot of stuff too.

You know, you might want to keep embarrassing comments like that to yourself, instead of broadcasting them to the entire world :)

Weather forecast?

Large masses of anticyclonic hot air if Mecky is involved.

Not surprising really since most of us are worse off since the forecast was halved last March

Riiiiiight.... so, how come...

Car Sales Increased By Almost 11% In 2013

UK home sales up 24%, says HMRC [bBC News, 24 December 2013]

In his (understandable) rush to share his trenchant observations with the rest of us, I fear Mecky has ignored one tiny factoid.

The thread details three retailers who had a bad Christmas. Now, for some reason, a bit of logical sidestepping has occurred. Our Mecky has assumed that all retailers are the same.

Sainsbury's enjoys 'best ever' Christmas with record week

John Lewis enjoy record Christmas sales after festive spending frenzy

House of Fraser records bumper Christmas with online sales surge

Lidl and Aldi hail bumper Christmas with record UK sales

I can only assume that, by some strange coincidental quirk of happenschance, Mecky does all his shopping at Morrisons, Marks & Spencer and Tesco and that for him, they are the High Street.

Yes, I'm sure that must be it.

Archived