Sugar is the New Tobacco

How much protein do you eat per day and where does it come from?

:lol:

I used to worry about protein- decades of weight training and upping muscle mass.

Now, despite being very focused on what I eat, I give zero consideration to protein.

Seen way too many fanastically healthy, fit and vibrant fruitarians and 80/10/10ers who, similarly have no interest in protein, to worry about it.

Apparently there are no documented cases of actual protein defieciency (caused by diet that is)- generally the only way you'll end up protein deficient is if, for example, you're starving to death- and, in reality, that's a general defieicency in calories/other nutrients.

I regret my previous use of protein powders, milk, etc- yes, they assist in making big muscles, but, my health was not good.

And now, through eating immense amounts of fruit and other unprocessed carbs, with no thought whatsoever to protein, i'm in the best shape of my life and my health seems considerably better than it has for a long time.

Is it possible that this is just a short term phenomena, and that in 6 months I'll be dealing with serious deficiencies?

Yes. But, like I said, this is the only one of the many ways of eating I've tried that has produced proper results (2 stone weight loss, tendonitous issues resolved, feeling energetic, happy etc etc) that i'm truly happy with.

I've become extremely frustrated with medical sciences efforts to tackle the clearly massive issues with our food and understanding the real causes.

So I'm going to continue with this experiement and see where it goes.

Now spring/summers on it's way, I'm really looking forward to maybe trying a few weeks of just fruit.

Which reminds me- I've just got through the winter being slim and healthy and been really happy with what I'm eating (mainly bananas). Although I've sometimes lost a fair bit of fat in summer by subsisting on salads, when winter comes it's always been unsustainable and the weights gone back on.

If the carbs are unprocessed ones, they will not make you fat. I've been getting the majority of my daily colorie requirements from fruit for the past few months.

If you eat twice as many fruit calories as you need you will get fat. Also your teeth will dissolve.

In that time I've never gone hungry, and, my weight dropped from an unhealthy 13 stone, to a very healthy 11 stone.

Also cured several issues with tendon immflamation (tennis elbow etc).

Many others have done the same. Unprocessed carbs in the form of fruit, leaves etc cannot make you fat- the ultra low calorie density of fruit means that it can actually be a challenge to maintain bodyweight.

Of course they can, they're not magic, calories in >calories used = weight gain. Basic thermodynamics.

If I start to feel hungry, or suspect that I'm hungry, or are in any doubt, I eat. I've eaten 27 bananas in a day and tend to average 16-20. I know for a fact that I can eat as much fruit as I feel the need for and will not put on weight.

You may well also give yourself potassium poisoning and/or diabetes if you keep that up!

On of the fruitarians on youtube is currently offering a prize of, I believe, 20,000 dollars to anyone who can find a documented case of a long-term fruitarian who is anything but lean.

It might be difficult to eat the required calories, but there is no mechanism that means fruit cannot cause weight gain as you seem to be implying.

If the carbs are unprocessed ones, they will not make you fat. I've been getting the majority of my daily colorie requirements from fruit for the past few months.

In that time I've never gone hungry, and, my weight dropped from an unhealthy 13 stone, to a very healthy 11 stone.

Also cured several issues with tendon immflamation (tennis elbow etc).

Many others have done the same. Unprocessed carbs in the form of fruit, leaves etc cannot make you fat- the ultra low calorie density of fruit means that it can actually be a challenge to maintain bodyweight.

If I start to feel hungry, or suspect that I'm hungry, or are in any doubt, I eat. I've eaten 27 bananas in a day and tend to average 16-20. I know for a fact that I can eat as much fruit as I feel the need for and will not put on weight.

On of the fruitarians on youtube is currently offering a prize of, I believe, 20,000 dollars to anyone who can find a documented case of a long-term fruitarian who is anything but lean.

Haha! That's a hell of a lot of Bananas!

With all respects that's a strange diet. And as you are an ex body builder,i can't understand why you have dropped proteins completely??

As you say you're not sure how things will pan out over the months/years,but I would imagine your muscle mass and bones will suffer a lot of damage.

:lol:

I used to worry about protein- decades of weight training and upping muscle mass.

Now, despite being very focused on what I eat, I give zero consideration to protein.

Seen way too many fanastically healthy, fit and vibrant fruitarians and 80/10/10ers who, similarly have no interest in protein, to worry about it.

Apparently there are no documented cases of actual protein defieciency (caused by diet that is)- generally the only way you'll end up protein deficient is if, for example, you're starving to death- and, in reality, that's a general defieicency in calories/other nutrients.

I regret my previous use of protein powders, milk, etc- yes, they assist in making big muscles, but, my health was not good.

And now, through eating immense amounts of fruit and other unprocessed carbs, with no thought whatsoever to protein, i'm in the best shape of my life and my health seems considerably better than it has for a long time.

Is it possible that this is just a short term phenomena, and that in 6 months I'll be dealing with serious deficiencies?

Yes. But, like I said, this is the only one of the many ways of eating I've tried that has produced proper results (2 stone weight loss, tendonitous issues resolved, feeling energetic, happy etc etc) that i'm truly happy with.

I've become extremely frustrated with medical sciences efforts to tackle the clearly massive issues with our food and understanding the real causes.

So I'm going to continue with this experiement and see where it goes.

Now spring/summers on it's way, I'm really looking forward to maybe trying a few weeks of just fruit.

Which reminds me- I've just got through the winter being slim and healthy and been really happy with what I'm eating (mainly bananas). Although I've sometimes lost a fair bit of fat in summer by subsisting on salads, when winter comes it's always been unsustainable and the weights gone back on.

I always see it this way. What is grown naturally must be made for us and destined for us. What is not made naturally and man changes the biology of things. It cannot be all that great for us. I used to think that science is indeed the way forward, but then when I realised that not everybody understood the fundamentals and started to misuse or misquote science, then I realised that, not everybody actually understood what is considered as healthy.

If everybody just listen to their body each day, they will know what it feels like each day and that is based on your consumption before. I also now cut out bread from my diet. I also try to eat meat and vegetables instead. I also picked a leaf out of a weight watcher's program before which my sister used to be obsessed on. Which is to eat a red, a green and a yellow vegetable. As they contain different nutrients. It is so simple when you see it so clearly. My sugar level also have not fluctuated too for a long time since my 20s, as I omitted the sugary items from my diet.

Maybe you need to consider what your body is asking for during Winter months. I also don't fight against what my body needs now. Sometimes I think to myself "this is not lunch time yet." Or a "I cannot do this because I need to follow my routine." If I feel like eating, I go and eat. If I feel kind of drained, or I need a pick me up. I go and do it. I have more or less a short list of items that I feel quite nourished on when I eat them. I don't think about the science, but I think about how it tastes and if I feel full. Which I do.

With all respects that's a strange diet. And as you are an ex body builder,i can't understand why you have dropped proteins completely??

As you say you're not sure how things will pan out over the months/years,but I would imagine your muscle mass and bones will suffer a lot of damage.

Indeed. You need protein. If you don't get enough, your body will start breaking down muscle to get the protein it needs. There are many other things that require various proteins.

onewheeldave, do some research. Also eating purely bananas is not good for you.

Indeed. You need protein. If you don't get enough, your body will start breaking down muscle to get the protein it needs. There are many other things that require various proteins.

Perhaps that's why he's only onewheeldave :)

Actually, vegetables and fruit do contain protein (plant proteins - it's what used to be called 'second class protein', but isn't any more). Otherwise mammals such as giraffes or cows, which eat only leaves/grass, wouldn't have any muscles, which clearly, they do. I do not know how much vegetable matter you would need to consume in order to get the adult RDA of 60-70 g, though, or whether all plant protein it is accessible to humans in the same way it is to giraffes or cows, for example.

One banana apparently contains 1g of protein.

True. All me and many successful fruitarians/80/10/10ers are saying, is that eating a fruit based diet provides plenty of protein- so you do get enough.

as said here-

Actually, vegetables and fruit do contain protein (plant proteins - it's what used to be called 'second class protein', but isn't any more). Otherwise mammals such as giraffes or cows, which eat only leaves/grass, wouldn't have any muscles, which clearly, they do. I do not know how much vegetable matter you would need to consume in order to get the adult RDA of 60-70 g, though, or whether all plant protein it is accessible to humans in the same way it is to giraffes or cows, for example.

One banana apparently contains 1g of protein.

Well- it seems to be good for me- since getting most of my daily calories from fruit, unprocessed carbs and, over winter, bananas, I'm down to a lean 11 stone and feeling very fit and healthy.

In contrast, prior to this, I was 13 stone (getting fatter each year), unfit, unhealthy, suffering joint/tendon issues on a regualr basis and pretty miserable as a result.

I've done research- probably way more than you- much of it is badly designed and/or irrelevant.

There's studies and evidence showing pretty much anything- studies showing that fat is really bad for health, and studies showing that a largeish intake of fats is necessary for health- clearly they can't all be right.

That's why I'm following this through- not just for the joy of living life in a fit, healthy, slim body, but cos it's really the only experimental data I can trust at this point.

In 2 years if I'm still in great shape- then it's thumbs up for this way of eating. If I'm getting ill in 6 months, then so what? I can always go back to not eating loads of fruit can't I?

Incidently, I did ask my GP if I could have my bloods checked every 6 months or so, in case this way of eating threw up some contra-indications: typically where our 'health' system is concerned, he said 'no' (presumably cos it costs money?).

That pretty much sums up our current health system- focused on repair, not interested in prevention.

Good luck - do come back and tell us how you get on with it.

It's true, there are fruitarians who have lived to great old ages, but...I can't help wondering if they were just the ones who bucked the trend and the reason you don't see many of them is because most of them died out?

Ex- weight trainer- never had an interest in the kind of muscle displayed by competing body builders.

I've dropped protein cos I'm convinced that-

1. extra protein over and above that found in the food I'm eating (fruits, unprocessed carbs and, as I'm not fully decided about the fat issue, small amounts of natural full-fat yoghurt etc) is unecessary for health, or, for the kind of muscle development I'm now training for.

2. substantial amounts of evidence indicating that extra protein is detrimental to health (in counties with high protein intakes from milk etc, bone loss is very common, with some arguing that it's due to excessive protein in the diet. It should of course be lower- as milk is constantly marketed as being good for bones due to it's calcium content).

This is the kind of muscle I'm interested in now- functional, as opposed to big. Tendon strength and a light body-

the first 30 seconds are vegan propaganda- everyone in the vid is vegan- given the extreme conditioning and muscular development evident in this vid, it shoud hopefully cast doubt on the belief that extra protein is necessary for health?

Archived