Sugar is the New Tobacco

I am married to a dentist, I am well aware that fruit contains sugar. It is still nonsense though as the natural occurring sugar in fruit isn't any where near as bad for you as processed sugar.

As long as you brush your teeth regularly, sugar (and especially fruit sugar) has no real negative impact on your teeth, a bigger factor is acid, which occurs in many fruits as well, but that too can be contained by brushing your teeth regularly.

I am married to a dentist, I am well aware that fruit contains sugar. It is still nonsense though as the natural occurring sugar in fruit isn't any where near as bad for you as processed sugar.

As long as you brush your teeth regularly, sugar (and especially fruit sugar) has no real negative impact on your teeth, a bigger factor is acid, which occurs in many fruits as well, but that too can be contained by brushing your teeth regularly.

Yes. Also, eating a small cube of cheese before you eat the (acidic) fruit apparently confers some protection from the acid.

You would have to eat something like 4 or 5 apples to consume to same amount of sugar as in one Mars Bar. It's self-limiting, in that way. This is the first point in human evolution that we have had ready access to such concentrated amounts of sugar, so cheaply. Mars Bars (in multipacks) can be bought for about 20-30p each. In 1975 ( a generation ago), they cost 7p but that is the equivalent of at least £1.00 at today's prices.

Only 20-30p for 7 heaped teaspoonfuls of refined sugar (plus fat, etc)....and there are plenty of people who have several chocolate bars/pieces of cake each day.

The whole idea that because its natural then it must be good is flawed. It does not matter what type of sugar it is, processed or otherwise. Fructose is a fruit sugar and is just as bad as refined sugar. Fresh Apple juice in fact contains more sugar per ml than normal Coke or other sugary fizzy drinks. An average banana contains around 14g of sugars which is around 3 and a half teaspoons of sugar.

Apples, oranges and other citrous fruits also contain plenty of acid which is also bad for the teeth. Its about diet and what quantity of these foods people consume.

Coffees and a Soft Drinks - I bet most people have no idea just how much sugar is in a single drink.

---------- Post added 09-01-2014 at 18:03 ----------

You want to make informed decisions, so how could you possibly object to being shown the true amount of sugar in the crap you eat?

I should hope they know how much is in coffee, because you have to add it yourself with a teaspoon!

This proposal isn't about more information, it's about getting food manufacturers to add less sugar.

The whole idea that because its natural then it must be good is flawed. It does not matter what type of sugar it is, processed or otherwise. Fructose is a fruit sugar and is just as bad as refined sugar. Fresh Apple juice in fact contains more sugar per ml than normal Coke or other sugary fizzy drinks. An average banana contains around 14g of sugars which is around 3 and a half teaspoons of sugar.

Apples, oranges and other citrous fruits also contain plenty of acid which is also bad for the teeth. Its about diet and what quantity of these foods people consume.

There is debate about this, some people say that because the sugar is locked into fibre (with fruit) it isn't taken on board by the body as readily and processed differently. I don't really care though, cutting out artificial sugar intake in the shape of cola, sweets, chocolate etc. helps.

There is debate about this, some people say that because the sugar is locked into fibre (with fruit) it isn't taken on board by the body as readily and processed differently. I don't really care though, cutting out artificial sugar intake in the shape of cola, sweets, chocolate etc. helps.

Yes, I've read that too although I am not an expert. Regardless, people who claim that fructose in fruit is 'just as bad' as sugar in confectionery and processed foods are simply missing the point (about relative quantities). It is easy (in one day) to consume a can of fizzy drink, a Mars Bar and a piece of cake or three biscuits. To take in the same amount of sugar through fruit you'd need to eat 9 bananas, or 18 apples.

It is also true that processed fruit juice (e.g. 'pure orange/apple juice') is concentrated and does contain more sugar than is good for us - it should be avoided in favour of the whole fruit itself, plus water to drink if thirsty. It isn't as bad as colas, etc, but it's to be taken sparingly. Alcohol is also quite high in sugar, which is one reason people get fat on it.

The fact remains that we need a certain amount of energy daily, which should be coming largely from complex carbohydrates, a small amount of fat and not from refined sources of sugar, as with the latter it is far too easy to overdose and over time become diabetic whilst not benefitting from the fibre, vitamins and minerals which also occur naturally in wholefoods such as fruit and vegetables.

Alcohol is also quite high in sugar, which is one reason people get fat on it.

Alcohol itself contains no sugar, although alcoholic drinks can.

Distilled alcoholic beverages use sugar at some stage in their making, but the distillation process itself will dissolves the sugar. The mixers used can contain loads of sugar, so drink your whiskey neat.

Standard wines will contain a small amount of sugar, typically 1-2g per glass.

Beer usually contains no sugar, but what it lacks in sugar is offset by a large amount of carbohydrates. A pint of beer will will contain no sugar but a whopping 10-20g of carbohydrates. This is why people get fat on it.

What was interesting listening to the doctors debate this on the radio yesterday was that it was mentioned how prevalent diabetes has become in countries where alcohol is forbidden, because they drink loads more soft drinks.

So alcohol can be good for you ... in moderation of course.

Distillation doesn't dissolve the sugar, nor would dissolving it matter at all (it's always dissolved if you're consuming it in a drink).

The fermentation process consumes the sugar (the yeast in fact consuming it) and produces alcohol.

There is no guarantee that an alcoholic drink is sugar free though, as fermentation isn't always allowed to run to completion (or can't for various reasons). Sweet wines for example will still contain quite a lot of sugar.

Distillation would result in a product that had no sugar, but this would only apply to spirits.

And all that said, alcohol still contains calories, which is probably what aliceBB meant.

Distillation doesn't dissolve the sugar, nor would dissolving it matter at all (it's always dissolved if you're consuming it in a drink).

The fermentation process consumes the sugar (the yeast in fact consuming it) and produces alcohol.

There is no guarantee that an alcoholic drink is sugar free though, as fermentation isn't always allowed to run to completion (or can't for various reasons). Sweet wines for example will still contain quite a lot of sugar.

Distillation would result in a product that had no sugar, but this would only apply to spirits.

And all that said, alcohol still contains calories, which is probably what aliceBB meant.

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant, although as you say many alcoholic drinks do contain sugar anyway.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 19:40 ----------

Are people going to be forced into consuming cupcakes outside the front of office blocks across the country?

Ha! Yes. And be pelted with rotting fruit while they do it!

Archived