Proof that Americans ARE STUPID ?

Aha, no doubt you only saw the nice parts :) I can't blame your hosts, I do exactly the same when I invite guests from other parts of the world

Thank you for that :) For some reason I'm thinking of the park rangers in Yogi Bear :blush: Do the chain control staff patrol in vehicles or are they sat in a booth and must open the gates to allow you in?

The national parks like Yellowstone close in winter. Too much snow. Nobody there except the 4 footed species.

Anyway, do you know what is meant by "chain control" ? I never did get a straight answer from our resident Yan-- North Americans.

As CottonTop said, not all areas have chain control. Where we (Harleyman and I) live out west, there are chain controls because mountain passes can be slippery/quite dangerous in winter.

The California Deparrtment of Transportation or Caltrans, has rules regarding winter driving that are (for the most part) stringently enforced.

There are checkpoints where people will stop you and make sure your vehicle has either chains or snow tires or both, depending on the conditions. If not, you are turned back, NO exceptions.

Also, even in summer, you can tell which areas see heavy snow. The asphalt on the road is worn down, often for many miles. Hope that helps explain it.

Edited by Sierra

As CottonTop said, not all areas have chain control. Where we (Harleyman and I) live out west, there are chain controls because mountain passes can be slippery/quite dangerous in winter.

The California Deparrtment of Transportation or Caltrans, has rules regarding winter driving that are (for the most part) stringently enforced.

There are checkpoints where people will stop you and make sure your vehicle has either chains or snow tires or both, depending on the conditions. If not, you are turned back, NO exceptions.

Also, even in summer, you can tell which areas see heavy snow. The asphalt on the road is worn down, often for many miles. Hope that helps explain it.

A few years back I was stopped and turned back by the Highway Patrol just after leaving Running Springs on Highway 38 on the way up to Big Bear Lake where it had been snowing heavily all day because I had no chains I thought of spending the night in the truck hoping they'd let me through next day but it was so cold I decided not to and went back down to San Bernardino. Not long afterwards Running Springs was buried under snow also.

If you've ever traveled up to Big Bear on that highway you'll see those long poles sticking up on the side of the road as a warning to drivers in heavy snow where the edge of the highway is. Beyond the poles are sheer drops of hundreds of feet in some places

Robert Peston ‏@Peston 1m

Only in US? Burns epidemic as people throw boiling water in ice cold air, assuming it will freeze http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-boiling-snow-20140107,0,6070776.story#axzz2pue7ldST … HT @fieldproducer

Need i say anymore?:hihi::hihi:

If we had the same weather in the UK and this video was posted, we would have the same problems with people burning themselves.

Remember those messages that the latest iOS on the iphone made them waterproof. A few people all across the world dropped their phones into water to test it.

America is not the the only place thick people live.

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 13:34 ----------

A retired police officer in Florida is charged with shooting dead someone for texting in a cinema. Ironically the film they were watching was called Lone Survivor;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/14/man-shot-dead-at-movies-for-texting

This isn't stupidity but rather an indication of how people are irritating each other more and more through being selfish and ignorant of other people.

Most people do not go out to pee off others but do so by being so ignorant of others around them. Then when challenged they instantly become hostile and refuse to accept they are wrong.

A retired police officer in Florida is charged with shooting dead someone for texting in a cinema. Ironically the film they were watching was called Lone Survivor;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/14/man-shot-dead-at-movies-for-texting

What's a "retired police officer" got anything to do with your post? :loopy:

Given his age he more than likely retired at least a dozen years before so where's the relevency to "police" as in "active duty police"

I would hate texters and phone users in movie theaters also. They're morons and ignorant since before the main feature starts there is a courtesy message asking people to turn off their cell phones. The iPhone screens shine very bright in a darkened room and very distracting since stadium type seating which is now standard in move theaters allows the person sitting behind you to see hand movements of the person sitting directly below

I guess someone wasted their money on a bag of popcorn :D :D

Edited by Harleyman

What's a "retired police officer" got anything to do with your post? :loopy:

Given his age he more than likely retired at least a dozen years before so where's the relevency to "police" as in "active duty police"

I would hate texters and phone users in movie theaters also. They're morons and ignorant since before the main feature starts there is a courtesy message asking people to turn off their cell phones. The iPhone screens shine very bright in a darkened room and very distracting since stadium type seating which is now standard in move theaters allows the person sitting behind you to see hand movements of the person sitting directly below

I guess someone wasted their money on a bag of popcorn :D :D

Harley, I have been in public venues, concerts, shows, plays, movies, what have you where some patrons are doing everything EXCEPT watching the show. Which begs the question, why are they even there?!

Someone who doesn't like Americans being made fun of doesn't mind making fun of dead Americans.

***** happens. What more can I say. The wisest way to live in today's modern society is to not act stupid and annoy people needlessly. Courtesy and consideration to others at all times when in public will prevent such things happening