OAP pass, getting out and about/potential cuts

How do the times work? Is it by actual time or the time that the bus/tram is due?

Ie, if I get on the tram at 9.25, but the conductor doesn't get to me until 9.30, would that then be free?

If I got on a bus at 9.26 and he told me I needed to pay, but I argued my case for 4 minutes, would it then be free?

Certainly for buses it is when the machine scans the pass. I boarded (along with several other pass holders) on a 23:00 departure from the bus station in Derby and all wanted to get it scanned before the deadline.

...student maintainance allowance for living at home Up to £4,375 38 week year =£115 per week....

What is "student maintainance allowance"?

I am sure there are very many students who would like to apply for this and would be very grateful for a link.

The nearest I can find is the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) which was scrapped in England in 2011 and replaced by the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund which has a maximum value of £1,200 a year. Colleges have funds to help individuals.

Certainly for buses it is when the machine scans the pass. I boarded (along with several other pass holders) on a 23:00 departure from the bus station in Derby and all wanted to get it scanned before the deadline.

So I guess if a bus was due at 10.55 but turned up at 11.01 that the machine would ask for payment.

Though I'm guessing most reasonable drivers would use their discretion and let you on for free.

its hitting disabled people hardest.. Oaps are only losing half an hour and trains. We are losing early mornings as well...

Cuts elsewhere could have been made - like:

child fares being a 34% or 50% discount of the adult fare like the rest of country outside London.

normal child fares on trains being a 34% discount on the adult fare - like it is for adult railcards. NRCoC state that "Children under 16 years of age are entitled to discounts on most tickets" - it doesn't specify how much of a discount.

concessionary passes issued from outside South Yorkshire (and Plusbus tickets) not being valid on the tram. IIRC South Yorkshire passes are not valid on light rail systems elsewhere in the UK. Time this loophole was closed.

lowering the age in which children become fare paying passengers - 4-year olds have to pay a fare on Eurostar.

I feel this will be playing into the hands of the likes of UKIP when it comes to the ballot box.

Edited by CheekyBandit

:suspect:

What is "student maintainance allowance"?

I am sure there are very many students who would like to apply for this and would be very grateful for a link.

The nearest I can find is the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) which was scrapped in England in 2011 and replaced by the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund which has a maximum value of £1,200 a year. Colleges have funds to help individuals.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

Part of the student loan.

its hitting disabled people hardest.. Oaps are only losing half an hour and trains. We are losing early mornings as well...

I use my pass everyday and have only used it few times before 9:30. I don't feel like I am losing anything important.

The train to leeds was essential only for that trip to IKEA last month, other times were for entertainment and could have been sorted with internet.

But if I needed it earlier it will be for work, I could only work 20 hours/week to start and would love to work again.

There is loads of work for me out there but it all requires a drivers license and some use of dangerous equipment.

Unless I start a new career. Did decent work before, silly make the rich richer jobs are not really jobs but survival payouts to keep the poor working for the rich.

OAPS have had the velvet glove treatment recently, they keep their heating allowance, bus passes and tv licences when us out working are getting squeezed more and more. OAPS get a good deal especially when compared to students and the working poor.

Well said. But then the OAPs are the reliable voters, more so than the students and working poor so the government have to keep them happy.

Well said. But then the OAPs are the reliable voters, more so than the students and working poor so the government have to keep them happy.

Which the "Intergrated" Transport Authority failed to do. This could therefore prove to be political suicide. Of this committee (http://meetings.southyorks.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=167&zTS=B) it appears that Councillors Leech, Nevett, Russell, Smith and Lodge have their seats up for grabs in the next local elections. I hope the good people of Birley kick out Lodge.

Edited by CheekyBandit

oap pension is £110.15

minimum wage £6.31 per hour x 37 hours = £233.37

student maintainance allowance for living at home Up to £4,375 38 week year =£115 per week

= there may be one or two holes in your proposition.:huh:

I'm sure most students would love the benefits OAPS get. Especially when some don't even need it.