OAP pass, getting out and about/potential cuts

An old car would be a lot faster and cheaper than public transport. I don't have the freedom to choose for that better option any longer and would hate to pay more money for a journey that takes me 45 minutes while a cheap old car does it in 5 minutes for the same price.

Therefore they are looking at cutting funding for the discretionary extras currently enjoyed by South Yorkshire residents holding these passes. The discretionary extras are:

Senior Citizens travelling between 09:00 and 09:30

Disabled people travelling before 09:30

pass holders travelling after 23:00

pass holders travelling by train.

pass holders travelling by tram.

The people groups that are likely to vote in local elections - councillors who backing cuts to them are just about to make themselves unelectable.

Perhaps child fares could be a 50% discount on adult bus fares like it is for the trains (and most buses elsewhere). And what about having the child discount on SYPTE-set rail fares being a third rather than a half?

The people groups that are likely to vote in local elections - councillors who backing cuts to them are just about to make themselves unelectable.

Perhaps child fares could be a 50% discount on adult bus fares like it is for the trains (and most buses elsewhere). And what about having the child discount on SYPTE-set rail fares being a third rather than a half?

Unfortunately it is the government imposing funding cuts on SYPTE, not local councillors. the SYITA and SYPTE together just have to decide where to make the savings.

Basically for the scale of savings required, alongside the further redundancies being made amongst their staff, it is only a choice of two options

- remove the optional extras from the concessionary travel schemes

- axe all tendered bus services (including rural services, some evening services, most school buses and some community transport).

Unfortunately it is the government imposing funding cuts on SYPTE, not local councillors. the SYITA and SYPTE together just have to decide where to make the savings.

SYITA is chaired by Cllr Mick Jameson - who is very much a local councillor. And according to the recent press release (http://www.sypte.co.uk/media.aspx?id=3788) the "proposed cutbacks, are due to be considered next week by councillors". I think it will be the local councillors who must take the blame when it comes to the ballot box.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Those who have current ENCTS free bus passes issued in SY are lucky.

People who are currently 58 or younger will not get any ENCTS free bus travel until they are 66.

They will still be able to buy the current discount cards at 60 for rail and National Express as they are purely commercial. Other rail companies have offers for over 55s

Sadly children will have to pay more as the SYPTE cannot subsidies them any longer and the rate will become set by the operators in four years. SY children currently have one of the cheapest rates outside London.

Local councillors have a say in levels of subsidy for:

-rural- early morning - off peak- mobility- child fares- trains in SY- 9 to 9:30 use by SY issued in ENCTS but the money available from Government is shrinking. Which group is most is most deserving?

An old car would be a lot faster and cheaper than public transport. I don't have the freedom to choose for that better option any longer and would hate to pay more money for a journey that takes me 45 minutes while a cheap old car does it in 5 minutes for the same price.

Some of us don't have the luxury of driving. Some of us are reliant on bus and tram services.

Sadly children will have to pay more as the SYPTE cannot subsidies them any longer and the rate will become set by the operators in four years. SY children currently have one of the cheapest rates outside London.

Children just about everywhere else get half adult fare on buses. Have done for years.

Some of us don't have the luxury of driving. Some of us are reliant on bus and tram services.

That is what I also said, I have driven for 20 years partly with help of medication.

Now it is no longer possible for me to drive unless I wish to commit suicide/manslaughter.

Still this government considers me perfectly healthy when it saves them money in making that decision