Financial advantages of being 60

Last year I had my 60th birthday, but didn't think much about it.

Later in the year I happened to need a prescription. As I received it over the counter, I took out my wallet, ready to pay, only to find out that I didn't need to because of my age. .:D . A nice surprise.

This has got me thinking. Are there any other things I can now get for free or cheaper because I am 60? Dental care? Eye tests? Also, is there an official list?

I've posted this in the Sheffield section, just in case there is anything that is specific to Sheffield.

Thanks.

Later in the year I happened to need a prescription. As I received it over the counter, I took out my wallet, ready to pay, only to find out that I didn't need to because of my age. .:D . A nice surprise.

This has got me thinking. Are there any other things I can now get for free or cheaper because I am 60? Dental care? Eye tests? Also, is there an official list?

I've posted this in the Sheffield section, just in case there is anything that is specific to Sheffield.

Thanks.

I believe you can get free eye tests. Don't know dental care though, we're over 60 and have to pay. That may depend on your income. Some things that were free at 60 (like the travel pass) are now being phased in as the retirement age for women is going up.

I've never seen an official list!

Thanks.

I'm only 45 but get free prescriptions and free eye test...Woohoo! Oh! and council tax frozen for another year..Ooo! and I can go back to uni for nowt...

But,i am up in Scotland...:D The land of milk n honey..

I believe you can get free eye tests. Don't know dental care though, we're over 60 and have to pay. That may depend on your income. Some things that were free at 60 (like the travel pass) are now being phased in as the retirement age for women is going up.

I've never seen an official list!

I dont need free dental care, for obvious reasons, and look silly trying to suck corn on the cob. Them were the days!

I also turned 60 last year. Some places do reduced admission charges ( like cinemas etc). There's also the winter fuel allowance, (£200, ) , and you can sign up at b & q for a discount card, think its 10% off on Wednesdays. Also Boots do extra benefits with their loyalty card.

Seriously all these things kick in at 60? I thought I'd have to wait until retirement age, whatever that'll be by the time I get there.

It's all altering now. My oh gets the heating allowance though he is not retirement age (he's 63). I have got reduced admission at Cineworld. Better to just ask as you go along.

Seriously all these things kick in at 60? I thought I'd have to wait until retirement age, whatever that'll be by the time I get there.

This was my starting point. I was surprised when I got the free prescription, so it got me thinking what else might also start before I actually retire.

I've not given it much thought in the past, just generally assuming that some things will change "when I retire". But if some things change at 60, it'd be useful to know. I only found out about the prescriptions being free because it happened automatically. If there is something that you actually need to apply for, then I'd want to know. For example, I don't know if the winter fuel allowance appears automatically or is something you need to apply for - so now I can look it up. There may be other similar allowancess that I don't know about.

Edit: ...and another general question. What is the protocol for getting cheaper admission to cinemas, or cheaper meals etc? Are customers expected to prove how old they are? If so, how do they normally do this? There is often discussion on forums about people having to prove that they are old enough to buy alcohol, what about being asked to prove you are old enough to get a discount? I know that my mum used to show her bus pass as a proof of being old, but if they no longer start at 60, then that's not available.

Further edit. On the back of a post above, I've just gone on a government website. It seems that the winter fuel allowance doesn't kick in at 60 after all. I'd have had to have been born before 5th Jan 1952 to get it this year. If the date changes each year, then I expect I'll be 62 before it starts. I've also checked for concessionary bus fares. Again, I'll be 62 before I can get that. It seems I may be being caught up in the general reconciliation of ages between men and women and/or a general delay in initiation of concessions to match up with people living longer. Either way, I'm a little suprised that I got the free prescription and that that didn't get caught up in the reconciliations as well.

I also turned 60 last year. Some places do reduced admission charges ( like cinemas etc). There's also the winter fuel allowance, (£200, ) , and you can sign up at b & q for a discount card, think its 10% off on Wednesdays. Also Boots do extra benefits with their loyalty card.

I think you only get winter fuel allowance when you are 80 now according to THIS, unless you were born on or before 5th January 1952.

Archived