NHS & Care data scheme

Buy your pitchforks here! People want to share information about health to try to make us healthier! Don't let it happen!

To be honest if the following criteria were met I would feel totally different about it.

1. A clear statement about data protection

2. An undertaking never to supply data to any commercial company

3. Not being developed by one of the big IT providers.

4. A clear statement on security.

Without any of that the project has all the makings of another IT disaster.

It does nothing to change the fact that when the data is provided to insurance companies, which it can be and will be, it will not be sufficiently anonymised to prevent re-identification of individuals.

Was the quote from the document saying "The Health and Social Care Information Centre will not share information about you with insurance companies or solicitors" not clear enough for you?

Buy your pitchforks here! People want to share information about health to try to make us healthier! Don't let it happen!

Open your eyes dude.

Here's ther first paragraph of the opt-out form which I've just downloaded from here-

http://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/#download

then filled in and handed in to my GP-

Dear Doctor,

I am writing to give notice that I refuse consent for my identifiable information and the identifiable information of those for whom I am responsible [delete as appropriate] to be transferred from your practice systems for any purpose other than my medical care.

i.e. consent refused for "any purpose other than my medical care".

If transferring the data is for my medical care, then it's cool- I think most people would be happy if it's for their medical care.

But, for other stuff, commercial interests, insurance purposes etc, then, no, I don't want people accessing my records without requesting permission from me.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 19:29 ----------

Was the quote from the document saying "The Health and Social Care Information Centre will not share information about you with insurance companies or solicitors" not clear enough for you?

It's clear enough dude- I don't believe it, but it's clear :)

This is clear as well- I don't want people having automatic access to my medical records, hence why I've just handed in my opt-out form.

No, because it patently isn't true.

It could be easily used against your best interests. I think you're a bit naive about insurance companies - you do realise how nasty things can get over even the most basic technicalities? How hard they will work to avoid meeting claims?

Just look across to the USA for the answer. Then take a look at this database and realise that it could be used to underpin the activities of medical insurance companies once the NHS is privatised. And you're paying for it. With your taxes.

Absolutely spot on. This is what the future holds.

You try going to BUPA, taking out a policy, and refusing access to your records and let me know how you get on when you make a claim.

I don't see how this new policy makes things different. If the information is there, they will find it.

Perhaps not, but this is the smaller picture. Just the start. It's gone the same way with other information in other fields.

I'm not naive in terms of insurers at all - I work with them on a daily basis and have done for nearly 20 years. I know every trick they try, and you're right, they will get out of paying any way they can. Hence, I can completely assure you that if you have a BUPA policy, refuse your records, and then make a claim, they will evade paying on policy non-compliance, or, if there's something in your records that's relevant, on the basis of failure to disclose at inception.

Precisely.

As I1 said above, and what you have backed up, this information can and will easily be able to get insurers out of paying for something.

Precisely.

As I1 said above, and what you have backed up, this information can and will easily be able to get insurers out of paying for something.

But that's my point. This information is freely available now for such purposes. Nothing is changing.

But that's my point. This information is freely available now for such purposes. Nothing is changing.

Not according to earlier posts, and the OP, and my brain!

You've said you're happy to have this information exchanged, so there is nothing really to argue Moosey.

I will opt out though. Like I said earlier, the bigger picture means that I can't stop information exchanges, but I won't encourage it to be done easily.

Not as freely available. With the new datasets available, as a system designer for an insurance company this is what I would do:

1. Create a data warehouse of existing customers. Include basic identifying information (customer ID, postcode, age, gender) for each customer plus a list of known medical conditions for each.

2. Request the amber care.data pseudo-anonymised dataset on a postcode by postcode basis. This could be done under the guise of needing the data to improve actuarial processes.

3. Feed the care.data dataset into the data warehouse.

4. Run match/merge operations on the two datasets. It could be that a reasonable hit rate could be achieved over time, linking existing customers to the care.data dataset. It might be enough to have a kind of probability score, say where the match appeared 90% or better.

5. Look for discrepancies between the care.data dataset and what has been declared by a matched customer.

6. Prepare a list of good/certain matches, including discrepancies ready for use by staff should a claim come in or customer query premiums etc...

Given what looks about to become possible insurance companies will be at least prototyping this kind of thing.

Not as freely available.

Really? You think?

If you think so, give me your name and the road you live on and I'll tell you all the details freely available to people like me and those I could guarantee I could get very easily. I won't post anything without your agreement dont worry. Do it seriously though. Fake details won't be traceable of course.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived