What's happened to 'Care in the Community'?

Care in the community is a joke, and those mainly involved are on minimum wage, and play against the clock, as they work in the private sector, and have to produce profits!

The art is to cut as much funding in all social sectors in an ongoing savings and efficiency plan. The most savings and greatest efficiency by the way is when all such services cease to exist, and the offices run by managers who feed the figures to government departments. I assume everyone knows the overall plan, and what bones there are worth saving will be thrown to the private sector, thus furnishing them with taxpayers money, which in turn buys favors from our corrupt political class, who in turn provide the bones of profit.

It is always a good thing to think the best of people, but with politicians grabbing as much in expenses as ever it seems the rot cannot be cured. MPS’ BUSINESS COSTS AND EXPENSES FOR AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER 2013

As part of its regular and routine publication of MPs’ costs and expenses, IPSA has today released details of claims processed in August and September 2013. The details added to IPSA’s publication website include over 35,000 claims with a value of £4.58m.

http://parliamentarystandards.org.uk/NewsAndMedia/Pages/LatestNews2.aspx?ListNews=739f9c00-b7d4-4282-bffd-9ae51fd8d92d&NewsId=60

Care in the community is a joke,

Regardless of your generalisations, "Care in the Community" is the term used for the policy and actions that resulted in people with learning difficulties being taken out of asylums, mental hospitals and special care homes into smaller based units living amongst us all.

i.e. 3 or 4 individuals living together in a house/apartment with a rotation of carers to ensure they had constant support.

I believe that all-in-all it has benefited more than it has harmed.

There still exist some individuals that need some form of enclosed, supervised living. Without those homes/units they run the risk of falling outside the current care net and often end up in prison/hospital/streets.

The system needs improving and this a difficult economic time to keep pushing for those changes, but we should never go back to those dark days of some abysmal mental hospitals that we used to have.

Regardless of your generalisations, "Care in the Community" is the term used for the policy and actions that resulted in people with learning difficulties being taken out of asylums, mental hospitals and special care homes into smaller based units living amongst us all.

i.e. 3 or 4 individuals living together in a house/apartment with a rotation of carers to ensure they had constant support.

There still exist some individuals that need some form of enclosed, supervised living. Without those homes/units they run the risk of falling outside the current care net and often end up in prison/hospital/streets.

The system needs improving and this a difficult economic time to keep pushing for those changes, but we should never go back to those dark days of some abysmal mental hospitals that we used to have.

I agree. For care in the community to work, it needs to be properly funded. You need good housing and well trained staff on decent wages, who are properly supervised. Make cuts here and it soon goes pear shaped ....

So you think living in a shop doorway is better?

That's the reality.

So you have funds to pay for what you need?

I *just* have about enough to pay what I was paying before the increase.

She probably has to go without something else, like heating or food. That's how people usually manage in this situation.

It costs me much more than I receive in my DLA, which, added to what I have to pay out now, in full council tax and housing benefit makes things very tight, financially.

That's the reality.

No. It isn't.

I don't know how old you are but I lived around and worked in several "asylums".

We just have to continue our efforts to help those falling through the net.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 00:47 ----------

I *just* have about enough to pay what I was paying before the increase.

It costs me much more than I receive in my DLA, which, added to what I have to pay out now, in full council tax and housing benefit makes things very tight, financially.

So you are supported by the state and mange to live reasonably. OK.

I assume that DLA is not your sole income. Nor is it designed to be.

I believe that you do a fair bit of voluntary work.

Are you in any paid employment?

I am not supported by the state, get income through 3 jobs at the moment, and find things very tight.

No. It isn't.

I don't know how old you are but I lived around and worked in several "asylums".

We just have to continue our efforts to help those falling through the net.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 00:47 ----------

Actually, I worked in Middlewood Hospital (Briefly) in the seventies. I was part of an occupational therapy team helping to prepare some institutionalised old people to leave the hospital and go into supported housing in the community, so I have some experience of it. They had to be taught how to shop, cook, manage money etc.

Most were excited to be going out, and I think would have coped well. But there were others (not in this group) who were obviously sick and needed a lot of support. They would have been better staying in one of the cottages in the grounds, but they too were destined to be going out. I hope they made it in the outside world, but at least they had the option of coming 'home' if it didn't work for them.

She probably has to go without something else, like heating or food. That's how people usually manage in this situation.

Do you know that? Or are you just reaching for your standard "oh it's so so awful" response as normal?

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 02:21 ----------

That's the reality.

No it isn't as well you know.

Archived