What's happened to 'Care in the Community'?

Do you know that? Or are you just reaching for your standard "oh it's so so awful" response as normal?

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 02:21 ----------

No it isn't as well you know.

So you're saying there's no one with mental health issues living rough?

Care in the community is a joke.. [snipped the drivel]...

You are the joke. And not a funny one.

-

So you think living in a shop doorway is better?

That's the reality.

And despite your often dim-witted posts Anna, and my attempt at banter to respond... this response was a pathetic response, and insulting.

Your later response to try and rectify this, was pitiful.

A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having denied a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet inequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to deny it, without ever having actually denied the original position. This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged, emotional issues. In those cases the false victory is often loudly or conspicuously celebrated.

If this sounds familiar Anna it's because you are doing it right now. Kindly cease misrepresenting me, and try and debate.

If you cannot do that - learn to pick your arguments more carefully, or debate goldfish who don't spot logical fallacies.

And again...

I think you've been on the vino, in fact I hope you have been, otherwise, you really really have shown that haven't got a clue :|

I'm not sure you have the intelligence to be ashamed at your responses, unless you are ****** now, and read your responses tomorrow, in a sober state.

And again...

I think you've been on the vino, in fact I hope you have been, otherwise, you really really have shown that haven't got a clue :|

I'm not sure you have the intelligence to be ashamed at your responses, unless you are ****** now, and read your responses tomorrow, in a sober state.

Cue for the obligatory Churchill quotation... :D

Considering the amount of care that some of these people get for assisted living it's disingenious to say they were cast out and left to fend for themselves. Yes it was about closing down mental health institutes and rightly so for by all accounts they were awful places and not ones that belonged in a decent society. The thing about care in the community was that mistakes and issues were there to be seen by all, instead of hidden away behind the high walls of some depressing Victorian pile.

Considering the amount of care that some of these people get for assisted living it's disingenious to say they were cast out and left to fend for themselves. Yes it was about closing down mental health institutes and rightly so for by all accounts they were awful places and not ones that belonged in a decent society. The thing about care in the community was that mistakes and issues were there to be seen by all, instead of hidden away behind the high walls of some depressing Victorian pile.

With the best will in the world, and acknowledging that living in the community is the far better option for most people with disabilities or mental health issues, there are some people who are so ill, mentally, that they are unable to function and to manage living in these community houses.

There are a few who do, honestly need the sanctuary and the care of the Asylums as they were originally intended, as a place of sanctuary and safety where they can be nursed whilst they need the care/ recover their mental health sufficiently.

It's the same with special schools. The same principle applies, that it is better where practical, to school a child with his or her peers, in mainstream. But there will always be the exceptions that prove the rule, such as my sister's youngest boy.

He has such bad brain damage from a congenital condition, that he would never manage in a mainstream classroom, (I would compare it to, perhaps, the analogy of putting an 18 month old baby in with a class of o'level students). His extensive needs, and limited understanding would be disruptive to the other students (as well as a health and safety liability!). so, as hated as special schooling is by many who endured it, for some, it is still necessary.

I don't entirely agree that it is disingenuous to say the are in the community recipients were cast out. I see that many do not receive the level of care they need. Or that it is made so difficult to access, that it is almost impossible to get.

Care in the Community was just another term for closing down mental health institutions and throwing the patients out on the streets to fend for themselves. It's alive and well as we see today.

Yeah,. more institutionalisation is needed again :roll:

You are a moron Sir.

With the best will in the world, and acknowledging that living in the community is the far better option for most people with disabilities or mental health issues, there are some people who are so ill, mentally, that they are unable to function and to manage living in these community houses.

There are a few who do, honestly need the sanctuary and the care of the Asylums as they were originally intended, as a place of sanctuary and safety where they can be nursed whilst they need the care/ recover their mental health sufficiently.

It's the same with special schools. The same principle applies, that it is better where practical, to school a child with his or her peers, in mainstream. But there will always be the exceptions that prove the rule, such as my sister's youngest boy.

He has such bad brain damage from a congenital condition, that he would never manage in a mainstream classroom, (I would compare it to, perhaps, the analogy of putting an 18 month old baby in with a class of o'level students). His extensive needs, and limited understanding would be disruptive to the other students (as well as a health and safety liability!). so, as hated as special schooling is by many who endured it, for some, it is still necessary.

I don't entirely agree that it is disingenuous to say the are in the community recipients were cast out. I see that many do not receive the level of care they need. Or that it is made so difficult to access, that it is almost impossible to get.

In my experience much the same happened in education with the closing of special schools, as happened with community care.

I agree entirely with what you say regarding most children being better off in mainstream schools where possible, but when the special schools were shut down it was on the understanding that the money saved would be made available to the ordinary schools to help with special educational needs.

This didn't happen. Again it was a cost cutting exercise and much of the expected help never arrived. The provision was patchy at best and special needs became something of a Cinderella lottery. Finally the Warnock Report concluded that the move had been disastrous in many cases, and had had a detrimental effect on the education of all.

I often wonder why, when governments are savaging teachers for 'declining standards', this is never mentioned.

Archived