Teachers to get MOT'd

I left years ago but converse with teachers quite regularly and am surprised how (and there's no other word for failing to comprehend a 5 line email) thick some of them are. I shudder at the thought of them teaching children. The majority aren't stupid/lazy but surely we should aim to winkle those out that are?

Maybe you just know thick teachers.

All of the ones that I know can read and comprehend to a high standard.

Unlike some of the solicitors that I also know.

Most schools that I've been in or have knowledge of, use a combination of techniques.

For set piece lesson observations, notice is the norm. That's probably fair if serious judgements about competence are being made.

Most good schools also make extensive use of unannounced short visits to lessons usually under the guise of "learning walks" or some other terrible euphemism. They are much more informative.

Union power really doesn't exist in the deregulated, free school, academy world that educators now inhabit. Those days are gone.

I'm sorry, Spike,

You use the phrase "most good schools".

I would agree with that.

Now go out there and realise that most schools do not fit your definition of "good". ..... including academies.

The teachers I know all have degrees followed by PGCE's and are always talking about OFSTED. I thought the profession had been further professionalised in the last 15 years. Is there any scope for further improvement? It's odd Labour announce this as they head toward an election. I suspect most teachers vote Labour. Why flick their ears?

The teachers I know all have degrees followed by PGCE's and are always talking about OFSTED. I thought the profession had been further professionalised in the last 15 years. Is there any scope for further improvement? It's odd Labour announce this as they head toward an election. I suspect most teachers vote Labour. Why flick their ears?

Industry and universities complain about youngsters coming out of school with GCSEs but are unable to spell or do basic arithmetic. Something is wrong somewhere. I'm not saying we go all "South Korean" on our youngsters either but standards are slipping aren't they? Maybe look at the teachers.

Industry and universities complain about youngsters coming out of school with GCSEs but are unable to spell or do basic arithmetic. Something is wrong somewhere. I'm not saying we go all "South Korean" on our youngsters either but standards are slipping aren't they? Maybe look at the teachers.

Can't disagree with you there. I do wonder to what extent it's the fault of pupils. I remember the ne'er do wells in my school who took pride in being thick and did as little as possible. Most went on to sixth form because the teachers were excellent.

Any (good) head that tries to make things work is beset by Council employment rules and practices that they have inherited and major union nonsense.

If a head is responsible for a school and all that is going on within it, why should they have to give notice to a teacher as to when they may walk into their classroom?

Council employment rules do not apply to Council run schools.

Teachers pay and conditions are not negotiated at Council level although there are some locally negotiated rights which apply to leave, sickness etc

Head teachers, senior staff, HODs, governors, HMI, OFSTED inspectors do not have to give notice of a visit. OFTSTED inspectors who take a very dim view of a schools management if they did not 'drop in' and monitor what was happening.

It happens so regularly that teachers accept this as normal.

There are nationally agreed guidelines in place on how to run the yearly assessment which include structured observation of whole lessons and the preparation involved.

There are procedures to deal with teachers who obtain a level 3 ( satisfactory) or lower.Teachers pay is affected by their standard of teaching.

The vast majority of non Council run schools also use the national framework.

Labour love tests don't they? I'm all for it - I'd much rather rubbish teachers are winkled out and the better ones left to thrive and educate kids rather than just try and get them to pass tests. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25686208

There's always been a common saying where i live -

"you can't educate pork".

When ALL parents care about their childs performance and enhance or stimulate learning then children may achieve better results.

Some kids are thick,some don't want to learn - before the teachers are blamed expectations of a childs educational development should be ascertained.

Not that some teachers don't have the scope to improve just like most people in most jobs.

Archived