Teachers to get MOT'd

This topic is very close to my PhD, so I need to be a bit careful talking about it, ensuring I don't become too academiccy but the basic issue at the heart of this topic is that bureaucracy is getting in the way of professionalism.

We should train our teachers to be confident, professional and trustworthy during teacher training and we should provide them with the right support whilst they are working in the form of proper backing by the head-teachers and government and with access to appropriate training whenever it is needed.

What we shouldn't do is tell teachers that they can be sacked if they don't fill out the paperwork properly. We definitely shouldn't set them meaningless targets, teachers work with people, not just any people, but our future. Instead of constantly trying to narrow down that work by making them focus on silly GCSE scores we should be giving them free reign to broaden that scope and make proper functioning human beings out of our kids.

When this recession started, the teaching profession was inundated with teachers as a result of people with degrees thinking teaching was an easy option until things picked up in the economy and they could return to their chosen career. Are these the type of people we want teaching our children?

Where is the commitment in that?

When this recession started, the teaching profession was inundated with teachers as a result of people with degrees thinking teaching was an easy option until things picked up in the economy and they could return to their chosen career. Are these the type of people we want teaching our children?

Where is the commitment in that?

Where's the truth in it?

Genuine questions here....are many teachers sacked because of incompetence? If not is it because there aren't many incompetent teachers or are there other reasons?

A bit of both. Some people don't want to work some days whatever their job. Some kids just don't want to try and learn. It's human nature. Teaching staff, pupils, parents and the government need to be entusiastic about education for it to stand a chance of working.

When this recession started, the teaching profession was inundated with teachers as a result of people with degrees thinking teaching was an easy option until things picked up in the economy and they could return to their chosen career.

Exactly (although I think it's been going on for quite some time, not just since the recession). An advanced physics degree followed by just one year PGCE and Bob's your uncle.

Archived