The vulnerable being abused in care homes

I have just read some news that care home staff have been charged with abusing the vulnerable . I feel so angry about this . Why are these people in a job that are responsible for these elderly people . They make me sick . My Dad had dementia & if there were people like these looking after him I would be serving time right now . I know it is a time of short staff but this is ridiculous .My Dad was in respite & the staff there were unqualified to care for him . They had no idea , but I have to say it was a case of them being out of their depth , however these people who have been charged are the scum of the earth . Something needs to be done about this because it is not fair .:mad:

Some valid points, but there have been other discussions on the same topic.

Do you have a link to the news item?

Here you are. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-25676842

They do want stringing up and the whistleblower rewarding and the plod a kick up the arse for taking so long to take action. I don't agree about cuts being the cause though. This was a private enterprise making, I assume like lots of care homes, money. Very very poor management combined with people who are nasty to their core. I hope prison is hard for them.

There are people like this in all walks of life.

Failure to weed them out and equally to manage them when they are employed is indicative of modern society.

There are so many under-educated individuals in society being employed by so many inexperienced civil servants and business managers, that we get this more and more often.

Here you are. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-25676842

They do want stringing up and the whistleblower rewarding and the plod a kick up the arse for taking so long to take action. I don't agree about cuts being the cause though. This was a private enterprise making, I assume like lots of care homes, money. Very very poor management combined with people who are nasty to their core. I hope prison is hard for them.

More likely penalised. My guess is they wont be looked upon too highly from future employers.

There are people like this in all walks of life.

Failure to weed them out and equally to manage them when they are employed is indicative of modern society.

There are so many under-educated individuals in society being employed by so many inexperienced civil servants and business managers, that we get this more and more often.

As sad as it is depressing I think you've summed it up in a few words.

There have been lots of studies into how and why this happens. Elements that keep coming up in these cases are:

A culture of people covering up for each other. This is more likely when you have members of the same family employed in the same care home. Lack of care and support of staff - an attitude which soon gets passed down to the residents. Lack of training. One or two dominant, bullying personalities, who more or less take over and determine how things are run.

Archived