Prostate examination?

This post is generally for the guys on this forum, the reason why will become quite clear.

While having drinks with the lads from my football team after a match on Saturday the subject moved to the fact that we were approaching an age of the dreaded prostate exam. (40 ish)

Women are generally accustomed to this type of intrusive procedure but for most males its a short sharp shock (pardon the pun) to the system.

The subject turned to who you would prefer to perform this delicate procedure, a man or a women.

I wont go into the various views on this subject but i concluded that i would find this less embarrassing if a male doctor performed my examination. This obviously brought some hilarious ridicule. We never grow up.

What are your experiences with this and do you have a preference who examines you?

1 in 8 men in the UK will get prostate cancer so i have put the link to the official website which is very informative.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/

P.S. This thread can be light hearted but keep the trolling to a minimum.

Don't care, it is horrible. Had it done twice, not for cancer check but cos I had an inflamed prostate, they poke and prod it. Not nice. Although apparently it doesn't hurt if its not inflamed so may not be that bad under normal circumstances.

HA ha ha, Aye, at 63 I am one of the "bums rush men". Never had any kind of problem in that area, until around the age of 56. Since then - at least 7/8 times, and the snooker cue like hand grip stuffed up there for a prostate biopsy. All of it due to an enlarged prostate, but thankfully up to now, benign.

Linked to the prostate, I have also had the camera "up the willie" into the bladder, twice. None of the above procedures were painful, more embarrassing than owt else, but ey up - what's a bit of embarrassment if it keeps you alive.

Angel.

call me old fashioned but if i have to have a finger up my bum i think i'd much rather it belongs to a female rather than a male

i realise that physically it will feel exactly the same irrespective of the sex of the finger, but psychologically i think i'd just be more comfortable

but then i much prefer a female doctor anyway - i'm just more comfortable talking to women than men about personal matters

Linked to the prostate, I have also had the camera "up the willie" into the bladder, twice. None of the above procedures were painful, more embarrassing than owt else, but ey up - what's a bit of embarrassment if it keeps you alive.

Angel.

I too have endured this, encouraged by my GP who pointed out the higher incidence of prostate cancer amongst middle aged, black males. Needless to say I cried like a baby, no it doesn't hurt but not good for anxious males especially if the urologist has an industrial approach to surgical investigations :wow:

Archived