Prostate examination?

Aw poor things.

Go through child birth then you will know what it's like to have your dignity thrown through the window, a finger up your bum is nothing especially when your health is at stake good grief .

My friend is now undergoing R/T for Prostrate cancer. Forget your pride if you have problems go see you GP

In all seriousness though, a few minutes of discomfort or embarassment surely has got to be worth it though to save your life?

P.S. I thought a smear was bad until I haemorraged after giving birth and ended up with a doctors fist up my fanjo! Think yourselves lucky ;):hihi:

While having drinks with the lads from my football team after a match on Saturday the subject moved to the fact that we were approaching an age of the dreaded prostate exam. (40 ish)

Is this test something that all men have to have when they're 40 then?

Very naive from me, but I've honestly not heard about it.

Apparently so.

I think its nearer 50 but you can never be sure.

I never go to the doctors for anything so i'll probably have to be dragged by the missus.

Or date a Proctologist.

I passed forty some twenty years ago.

I never heard of it either.

Maybe it's a new thing?

Apparently so.

I think its nearer 50 but you can never be sure.

I never go to the doctors for anything so i'll probably have to be dragged by the missus.

Or date a Proctologist.

Thanks. I was just having a look on the site you linked to and it says there is a test at 50. Though it says it's a blood test. I'm not sure if that's something else.

I don't care who does it, it doesn't matter if the doctor is male or female, the procedure would still be undignified. I had a endoscopy many moons ago and that was interesting. If you are concerned about being given the finger, try a camera and see how you feel :)

I had an endoscopy last year. It's weird, you can see your insides on the big flat screen TV. They shove the camera up your arse which comes on the end of its own Dyno-Rod like device and see how far they can investigate. In my case it was 2 1/2 metres, about 10 feet up :o

The gut is a very long thing and the dyno-rod is quite flexible.

The worst part of the whole procedure is the Klean-Prep you have to drink before, about 6 pints of it. Its a powerful laxative which makes everything inside squeaky clean so they can see with the camera. I had to drink the stuff in the morning, no breakfast, no coffee, then no food all afternoon and finally got the procedure at 7pm.

I had the top-and-tail investigation where they do the same thing, but down your throat which is termed gastroscopy (yes it's a different instrument they use). The endoscopy itself was OK compared with the gastrosopy, which was pretty well horrible.

What are your experiences with this and do you have a preference who examines you?

Had this examination done by a male doctor. I would have accepted a female GP doing it, but really, I'd prefer a male doctor.

The examination itself I found not to be a major issue. Sometimes you have to submit to things like this in the interests of general health.

Archived