Should the two Sheffield universities merge?

John

Should the 2 sheffield universities merge?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the 2 sheffield universities merge?

• I think it is a good idea
    • Unsure
    • No way

Sheff Uni Students More Intelligent Than Hallam Student your having a joke. I gained 3b's and a c which would have easily gained me entrance to that poxy shandy drinking university. However decided to opt for a course which would allow me to have a work placement year so i could gain experience which will impress employers more than a two bob degree at some red brick uni

As For a Merger Behave.

"When i was a little boy i asked my mother what should i be.. Shall i be hallam shall i be uni heres what she said to me......

Wash your mouth out son and get your fathers gun... Go Shoot The Uni Scum... La La La La La"

I would refute all those points but you did a good enough job of destroying your own argument...

Originally posted by Gilly

Sheff Uni Students More Intelligent Than Hallam Student your having a joke.

Capitalization? Use of apostrophes? Or do only "red brick uni's" offering "two bob degree"s bother teaching grammar?

I gained 3b's and a c which would have easily gained me entrance to that poxy shandy drinking university.

Really? Doing what? Cleaning the toilets?! I wouldn't brag about those grades if I were you, you'll only embarrass yourself.

"When i was a little boy i asked my mother what should i be.. Shall i be hallam shall i be uni heres what she said to me......

Wash your mouth out son and get your fathers gun... Go Shoot The Uni Scum... La La La La La" .

I'm not even going to waste my energy typing a response to that.

:loopy:

Sheff Uni Students More Intelligent Than Hallam Student your having a joke. I gained 3b's and a c which would have easily gained me entrance to that poxy shandy drinking university. However decided to opt for a course which would allow me to have a work placement year so i could gain experience which will impress employers more than a two bob degree at some red brick uni

As For a Merger Behave.

Wash your mouth out son and get your fathers gun... Go Shoot The Uni Scum... La La La La La"

Hey, it's that good old use of the word Scum again, in another new concept! That makes me scum so best you come and shoot me luv.

Fair enough you gained 3Bs and a C, out of interest how long a go did you do these A-levels??

Just to clarify, you wouldn't have got on my course since it requires 2 As and a B.

2 bob degree....LOL..!!! I think you're having a joke.

I've never drunk shandy in my life, not that it matters really. Does that mean that all Hallam students are big and clever and drink lots of hard core alcohol? Glad to see you spending your student loans wisely.

Originally posted by Foxxx

Does that mean that all Hallam students are big and clever and drink lots of hard core alcohol? Glad to see you spending your student loans wisely.

You'd better believe it.

How ****ing Typical i knew when i read through my message you would make a point of my poor grammar. But really couldnt be asked to edit it.

I gained my a levels in Business, Geography, IT and Economics last year although i have no idea why that matters (are you trying to say that they are getting easier so are now devalued)

As For Me not gaining the grades for your course well its a good job i didnt apply for it but the grades i achieved would easily have gained me acceptance to the equivalant course at Uni Of Sheffield.

Big and Clever I would like to think so

Big and Clever I would like to think so

Yes it is big and clever to say things like

When i was a little boy i asked my mother what should i be.. Shall i be hallam shall i be uni heres what she said to me......

Anyway, this argument seems to have become about Hallam not being a good uni. Most people have said that Hallam, as one of the ex-poly's has a good reputation and is a good uni and I agree with that. Most of the comments about needing lower grades and degree's not being worth as much as a traditional Uni were general comments about Uni Vs Ex-poly's. I still don't think there should be a merger though as stated, the two institutions are about different forms of learning and academia.

As for you getting ready to argue about A-levels not being easier, well I'm afraid they are. I'd like to see pupils of these days gaining their grades the old fashioned way by doing two years of work in exams and that's it. These day's it's all modular which imo is much easier to get higher grades in if you put the work in.

I wish I'd been able to do modular A-levels, my strong point is course work and exams at regular intervals. There was a lot of pressure in the old days to obtain high grades through exams and if you had a bad exam it didn't really reflect your capabilities and you could fail or get a low grade. This is where things are starting to change now, pupils can gain better grades and go to uni now, the old way of learning was far more academic and was a lot more about exam performance.

i really don't think the content of a levels has got easier, i just think the teaching has got better, and perhaps intelligence generally has risen (am not sure about that!).

Also, modular a levels may be considered easier, but what about pupils that do better at exams?

finally, my year was the first year to do the new AS level system and i know that all the pupils and teachers said it was ridiculous, the older teachers said they have never seen such a mess. There was a lot of confusion at my school over which syllabus to follow, key skills, timetabling and requirements. The fact that 4 subjects instead of 3 were taken in year 12 instantly made it harder due to an increase in workload.

Also, the myth that the a levels are easier now because it is modular in my opinion is rubbish as i took 24 exams throughout my 2 year as/a level courses and to count have taken 82 exams since starting school aged 3. My year (graduating at 16 in 2000) is the most examined year in british education to date.

I just think it's all pretty convenient from the government's point of view.

They wanted more people in higher education (for a variety of reasons) so what better way of doing this than making A-Levels easier? More students with more good grades then puts the emphasis on universities to create more spaces.

Makes good sense to me.

As for teaching getting better, I certainly haven't seen any evidence of this.

Oh, and more exams doesn't necessarily mean harder work. I've found all of the exams I've taken at Uni (about 10 per year) easier than the 6 (in two years) I took under the old A-Level system.

But that's probably another argument altogether...

Originally posted by HarrietStar

i really don't think the content of a levels has got easier, i just think the teaching has got better, and perhaps intelligence generally has risen (am not sure about that!).

Also, modular a levels may be considered easier, but what about pupils that do better at exams?

finally, my year was the first year to do the new AS level system and i know that all the pupils and teachers said it was ridiculous, the older teachers said they have never seen such a mess. There was a lot of confusion at my school over which syllabus to follow, key skills, timetabling and requirements. The fact that 4 subjects instead of 3 were taken in year 12 instantly made it harder due to an increase in workload.

Also, the myth that the a levels are easier now because it is modular in my opinion is rubbish as i took 24 exams throughout my 2 year as/a level courses and to count have taken 82 exams since starting school aged 3. My year (graduating at 16 in 2000) is the most examined year in british education to date.

But that is exactly my point. Modular exams are split up and in some courses you can retake the modules if the grade isn't high enough.

Old A-levels were 6ish long exams (for 3 Alevels) at the end of the two years, so you had to revise for a long time to retain all the information in one go and could get asked anything on the whole 2 years.

You lot who do modular do more exams, granted, but they are easier in comparison since you have less content to swat up on.

I found uni easier than A-levels in that respect.

Archived