Super King Size Bed

Does anyone know how many slats there should be on a super king sized bed? I've just bought one, but it only came with 9 slats (approx 3 inches wide) which doesn't seem sufficient given the size and weight of the mattress.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

No it doesn't. Check how sturdy the mid-beam is as well. Presumably it's proper wood construction, in which case screw more slats in, re-arranging existing ones.

I got a new king size about a year ago; when it was put together I thought, "Hmmm, that mid-beam doesn't look enough". It started bowing after three months, so I strengthened it with a long bit of 4"*2". Think about boosting the mid-beam as well as slats.

Don't overdo it, you need a little bit of movement to the slats.

Call the manufacturer or store to check if possible, some may have gone astray.

A decent slated base bed should have another leg in the mid beam to stop any bowing also make sure the mattress is made to be used on a slatted base otherwise it won't last too long.

I went into the shop last week and they tried to tell me that was how it was designed so I asked to take a look at the display bed and it did have more slats. It also didn't come with any instructions which I'm a bit miffed about.

It's a memory foam matress - doe that make a difference?

I went into the shop last week and they tried to tell me that was how it was designed so I asked to take a look at the display bed and it did have more slats. It also didn't come with any instructions which I'm a bit miffed about.

It's a memory foam matress - doe that make a difference?

Yes it should remember how it all goes together :hihi:

The base of our king size is in two separate halves which sits inside a metal framework supported by three metal legs so support isn't an issue. The memory foam mattress isn't a good sleep though so the whole bed will be going just as soon as we can afford another.

But to be honest, even if they say that it how it is designed by the manufacturer, is it enough for you though ? If not, then I would just return the bed and ask for a refund or something. Cos it doesn't sound like it fit your needs. Just return it back.

I got a king size bed also from Ikea. I did question the middle part as well. I am not heavy so it is okay, but I can see how it may not work though. That is why you need a strong base if you have a heavy mattress. You have to calculate the weight of the sleepers and the materials to check to see if it is worth it.

http://www.myhomestyle.org/japanese-bed-frame-designs-for-natural-bedroom-ideas/

Archived