Inflation on target..

I am sorry, but I do not share your enthusiasm at all. A lower inflation rate will not mean a slowdown in the cost of living, unless manufacturers are forced not to raise their prices beyond the level of inflation.

I refer you to this thread dating back to mid-2011, including examples where manufacturers where raising their prices far beyond the level of inflation:

Is the current economic climate as an excuse to rip us off?

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the average man in the street will see much improvement from a slightly lower inflation rate.

The only people I expect to benefit from the news are the government, who will feel vindicated that their punishment of poor people is slowly beginning to bear fruit.

I don't think you understand what the inflation rate is.

The inflation rate is the measure of prices - by definition you cannot rise prices over the inflation rate because that is the inflation rate...

I don't think you understand what the inflation rate is.

Evidently not :)

How does it work then?

If company1 jacks up their prices by 10% and company2 jacks their prices up 15%, what's the inflation rate?

Is it an average?

Because (as shown in the previous thread I linked to) prices were rising a helluva lot higher than 10% back in 2011.

I can only conclude that whoever this "mystery shopper" is, with their magic basket of goods that is used to compile the inflation rate, he or she must be a very enthusiastic Poundland shopper :help:

How does it work then?

If company1 jacks up their prices by 10% and company2 jacks their prices up 15%, what's the inflation rate?

Is it an average?

Because (as shown in the previous thread I linked to) prices were rising a helluva lot higher than 10% back in 2011.

I can only conclude that whoever this "mystery shopper" is, with their magic basket of goods that is used to compile the inflation rate, he or she must be a very enthusiastic Poundland shopper :help:

If the two firms had the same price to begin with then inflation would be 12.5%.

The CPI doesn't include mortgage payments although interest is still at a low, but it is an average of hundreds of different products that people buy regularly such as biscuits, milk, bread, and then public transport costs, fuel costs, cinema tickets etc. The other thread is just anecdotal evidence of certain items rising in price at above inflation rates but then other items will fall so it balances out.

That is not our evidence at the coalface.

We are Sheffield-based and have been recruiting a fair bit this year (secretaries, office management, trainees), and have been having -at times- some serious problems finding suitable/relevant candidates.

We'd gladly have too much support staff than not enough: as business/organisations go, some excess capacity 'in the model' is a damn sight cheaper to us than chronically not enough.

The problem is absolutely not what's on offer: we pay the best rates going for the area (so I'm told by agencies), but then that's because we do need, and want, the best...and there seems to be precious little of that around atm (but no shortage of significantly self-entitled applicants who consider themselves as such, unfortunately - until they find out they're not, really, the hard way).

Perhaps "the best" are quite happy in the jobs they've got and don't move around all that often (because if they're good then hopefully that is recognised and businesses work hard to keep them).

I generally take anything an agency says with a large dose of salt, they exist only to make money and will say whatever they think you want to hear.

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 14:51 ----------

How does it work then?

Is it an average?

Yes, it's an average. Although there are many ways that an average can be calculated of course.

---------- Post added 14-01-2014 at 14:53 ----------

If the two firms had the same price to begin with then inflation would be 12.5%.

It's not that simple is it. What if one supplies 99% of the market and the other supplies just 1%?

Do you work out the average price rise by unit shifted volume, by number of stores, or by company?

The CPI doesn't include mortgage payments although interest is still at a low, but it is an average of hundreds of different products that people buy regularly such as biscuits, milk, bread, and then public transport costs, fuel costs, cinema tickets etc.

And ipads and other far less frequent purchases...

The other thread is just anecdotal evidence of certain items rising in price at above inflation rates but then other items will fall so it balances out.

The headline CPI rate is at best somewhat misleading, but so long as we all understand that it's not a problem.

The inflation rate is the measure of prices - by definition you cannot rise prices over the inflation rate because that is the inflation rate...

One of the most retarded things ever posted on a forum. Gratz obleix.

Ofc you can raise prices above the level of inflation, it just depends what you are using your point of reference and which rate of inflation you are talking about.

The idea that simple inflation is the sign of a healthy economy as per you op is ridiculously simplistic. It is useful but there are so many other things that need to be considered that are equally if not more important.

Oh well there's no accounting for intelligence. I'm so glad to see that the good burghers of Sheffield know so much more than those calculating the figures...

Please - read what's above about how it's calculated and what it means. Then consider why a low inflation rate is a good deal better than a high rate, especially since wages are rising again. No ones saying we are rolling in clover, but it's looking a lot better than it used to be.

Whilst this is clearly positive news, there's still a long way to go before Jo Public up here in South Yorkshire will benefit from any recovery.

I know things are just as bad as ever where I work, although I am told there are a few more jobs around now, which is a positive.

Regards

Doom

Oh well there's no accounting for intelligence. I'm so glad to see that the good burghers of Sheffield know so much more than those calculating the figures...

Please - read what's above about how it's calculated and what it means. Then consider why a low inflation rate is a good deal better than a high rate, especially since wages are rising again. No ones saying we are rolling in clover, but it's looking a lot better than it used to be.

You were making a critisicisng someone else, except point except you managed to show you didnt have a clue what you are talking about.

I never said low inflation was bad, quite the opposite, but its a bit ridiculous to base your assement on the state of the economy purely on that, when there are so many other importnat factors to consider.

So just to state again its nothing to do with who calculated the figure, just your understanding of economics and what figures really mean.

Perhaps "the best" are quite happy in the jobs they've got and don't move around all that often (because if they're good then hopefully that is recognised and businesses work hard to keep them).
very probably, for those already in such organisation.

Nevertheless, with meeellions of unemployed about looking for choice career positions rather than zero-hour 'temp-in-all-but-name' alternatives, conventional wisdom says that we should still only have to barely lift a finger to get the pick of the crop.

We've never lost (support-) staff to 'unhappiness' btw, only ever to family/personal circumstances (babies/retirement).

I generally take anything an agency says with a large dose of salt, they exist only to make money and will say whatever they think you want to hear.
Goes without saying.

But there's only so much time I can dedicate to HR matters in the day, so agencies -for all their faults- shall continue to be a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Anyhow...all that to say - yes, there are real jobs out there Mecky. We've offerred and staffed 5 so far this year, with 2 still left to go atm. All of them permanent, 09:00-17:00, Mon-Fri.

Archived