The Old Corn Exchange

KEITH J

Hi KEITH J - the Corn Exchange survived the war but it was gutted by fire in 1947. Parts of the building remained in use until demolition in 1962. Here is a scan from the 1937 Kelly's Directory showing the occupants of the Corn Exchange and "Corn Exchange Buildings" at that time.

My parents were married there in the early 40s I think the registrar was situated there in those days!.Could this be the case Mr Hillsbro?.
Yes - the Register Office was in the "Corn Exchange Buildings" from the 1920s until the 1947 fire, when it moved to Surrey Street - here is a scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory.

It's a pity that such a fine building was demolished; although it was a semi-ruin after the fire, surely it could have been renovated..:|

Prior to the Corn Exchange the registry of births, marriages and deaths for the Park district was located in an old building (still there, but renovated) in the backyard of the house where I spent my early childhood - 3, Talbot Place. The registrar's name was Frank Fulford. That was certainly the case at the end of the nineteenth century, beginning of 20th century as I checked the directories.

My understanding is that someone wanted to redevelop the Corn Exchange site but was unable to get permission to do so. Shortly after this the place mysteriously burnt down and the rumour was that the fire was deliberately started.

Pure supposition of course and no proof that it was a deliberate act but apparently that was the story going around at the time.

I am accusing no one!!!

Archived