Accused celebrities in the news today.

I would like to see them all take a Polygraph.

If all the accusers are found to be telling the truth and the accused is found to be lying, then I wouldn't have a problem seeing the accused locked up.

Or we could just have a trial.

When (and only when) the verdicts are announced I will announce something about Rolf Harris which most people do not know.

Until then you will have to satisfy your taste for surprises with the knowledge that in a village called Much Hadham in Hertfordshire there is (or used to be, at least) a tree which, from a certain angle, was identical in profile to Rolf Harris' head. Glasses, beard, the works. And all the work of nature, not topiary!

It wouldn't be a fair trial though, and some members of the jury will just base their guilty or not guilty verdicts on whether they like him or not.

Are all trials by jury unfair? Do you think rapists should get off with it if they did their raping a while ago?

Are all trials by jury unfair? Do you think rapists should get off with it if they did their raping a while ago?

It didn't augure well for British justice that the judge had to instruct the jury to remember that it was not Ken Barlow who was on trial, though...

With the possibility of someone like you on the jury, no I don't think they are fair, you are already calling them rapists despite the fact they haven't been proven to be rapists. There won't even be evidence of intercourse presented at the trail let alone rape.

Some members of the jury will simply base their guilty or not guilty opinions on how much they like or dislike the accused.
Yes possibly.

I suppose before the jury decide on the verdict, they are advised to only reach a conclusion by relying on the evidence presented to them in court, and not to allow their own pre-conceived ideas about the celebrity, or what they have heard in the media influence them, but it must to some extent.

There's been some controversy in the past about people not getting a fair trial because of the influence of media coverage.

Whether I have forwarded evidence or not makes no difference. What I said is a fact, regardless of whether it has happened or not.

There's so much irony in there it's difficult to know where to start. Do you have any idea what fact means?

Archived