Accused celebrities in the news today.

It is perfectly normal that a complainant in sexual offence cases gives evidence via a tv link (in a room in the court but not in the courtroom) or gives evidence behind screens - the jury can see the person not the accused.

Witness anonymity in such cases is a hot topic. The identity will be known to the accused and his legal team but the publication of the name prohibited

I fully understand anonymity for witnesses who feel threatened and were children when the offences occurred but in the case I referred to the witness was an adult when the alleged minor offence took place.

The anonymity of a complainant alleging sexual offences is dealt with in

Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 1992, sections 1-4 - the identity cannot be reported. The fact the persons occupation and the location where they worked or the incident happened may not lead to the identification by the public at large of who the person is.

The anonymity of a complainant alleging sexual offences is dealt with in

Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 1992, sections 1-4 - the identity cannot be reported. The fact the persons occupation and the location where they worked or the incident happened may not lead to the identification by the public at large of who the person is.

Thankyou for the information.

I can understand why this would apply in serious cases but find it strange in cases of such minor assaults.

The anonymity in the type of case referred to gives a perception of a much more serious offence or other undertones.

Thankyou for the information.

I can understand why this would apply in serious cases but find it strange in cases of such minor assaults.

The anonymity in the type of case referred to gives a perception of a much more serious offence or other undertones.

It also prevents other folk coming forward who may have previously had a relationship with the woman and had her make unfounded accusations in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived