Accused celebrities in the news today.

Even though he's not guilty no doubt this will tarnish his reputation.

It's about time the accused got the same anonymity as the accuser, until they're found guilty of course.

I've just read a few bits from the BBC website:

In court, the woman making the rape claims changed her mind about how old she was at the time.

Another woman initially told police she was warned about Mr Roache by actor Johnny Briggs, who played Mike Baldwin, but when it was discovered he was not in the show at the time she said the warning had come from a different actor.

A fifth indecent assault charge was dropped due to insufficient evidence after the woman, who accused him of abusing her in his car, told the court she had "no actual memory" of the episode.

Are some people now just jumping on the Jimmy Saville bandwagon?

Not that I watch Coronation Street, but I hope Mr Roache is re-employed immediately.

Regards

Doom

Now he has been cleared, will the accusers be named, after all he has been proved innocent?

That wont happen. It should, but it wont. You see if the complainant was outed then the accused name is finally clear, if the name of the alleged victim is kept secret even after trial then to me its like saying "well we still believe you even though the jury found your alleged attacker innocent".

Name them!! Its only fair and right!!

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:14 ----------

And Jim Davidson before that. I see Davidson has now been paid £150,000 for appearing on Big Brother. So perhaps some folk who have had their carears ruined by folks who can hide behind a cloak of anonymity may get something out of it.

I firmly believe DLT will be found innocent too.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:19 ----------

Even though he's not guilty no doubt this will tarnish his reputation.

It's about time the accused got the same anonymity as the accuser, until they're found guilty of course.

I've just read a few bits from the BBC website:

Are some people now just jumping on the Jimmy Saville bandwagon?

Not that I watch Coronation Street, but I hope Mr Roache is re-employed immediately.

Regards

Doom

Some of those quotes from the bbc website are shocking! These women should be arrested and charged with making false allegations.

I firmly believe DLT will be found innocent too.

Some of those quotes from the bbc website are shocking! These women should be arrested and charged with making false allegations.

But that doesn't happen under British law. People are found NOT GUILTY, which isn't the same as innocent.

Unfortunately not, the accusers will still have that anonymity.

Another law that need changing.

Free to make accusations against others without anyone knowing that they have form.

It is one of the things that has put me off this media feeding frenzy. The celebrity is named and that is an invitation for others to come forward and add to accusations and slurs. But the accusers remain anonymous. Perhaps they have past boy friends or colleagues who have experience of a fantasist, but as the accuser isn't named it isn't possible for a character witness of that sort to come forward.

Why does the article use the word 'shamed' if he was cleared of any wrongdoing?

Regards

Doom

I'm not in a position to say wether he was or wasn't guilty. But if he wasn't what an awful awful story.

It's a political minefield to make this kind of statement on here, and I'm not judging on this story or his alleged victims, but those who do cry wolf should be forced to read this article.

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:35 ----------

But that doesn't happen under British law. People are found NOT GUILTY, which isn't the same as innocent.

What a ridiculous statement. If they are found NOT GUILTY then what are they? That's almost like saying everyone is guilty of the crimes they are accused, it's just if we manage to get enough evidence to convince the jury!

In some cases not guilty may mean guilty but lucky but in many case it will mean they are innocent, and the right to a fair trial proved this!

What a ridiculous statement. If they are found NOT GUILTY then what are they? That's almost like saying everyone is guilty of the crimes they are accused, it's just if we manage to get enough evidence to convince the jury!

In some cases not guilty may mean guilty but lucky but in many case it will mean they are innocent, and the right to a fair trial proved this!

..er, what's British law utg? ;)

British law is the laws common throughout the United Kingdom. Under those laws a verdict of not guilty means that the prosecution were not able to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

British law is the laws common throughout the United Kingdom. Under those laws a verdict of not guilty means that the prosecution were not able to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

I thought that Scotland had a different legal system to here in England?

Archived