Accused celebrities in the news today.

Personally there is a bigger issue here in my view.

A celebrity is accused and his (or her) name is made public so that other victims can come forward. Those who make the accusation remain anonymous. What if the accuser has done this before to other celebrities and who have paid them off? How can other victim's come forward if their identities are kept secret?

Someone must have been.

Apologises that should have read 'prosecution witness not telling the truth'.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 12:06 ----------

A celebrity is accused and his (or her) name is made public so that other victims can come forward. Those who make the accusation remain anonymous. What if the accuser has done this before to other celebrities and who have paid them off? How can other victim's come forward if their identities are kept secret?

Personally I'd support anonymity for both sides in cases of this nature. Re your second point, if an 'accuser' is concocting false claims in order to obtain money from celebrities then that's a crime in it's own right.

Apologises that should have read 'prosecution witness not telling the truth'.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 12:06 ----------

Personally I'd support anonymity for both sides in cases of this nature. Re your second point, if an 'accuser' is concocting false claims in order to obtain money from celebrities then that's a crime in it's own right.

That's were my opinion is too. If the accused is found guilty then their name can be made public and others can come forward. If there is sufficient evidence another trial can be held.

Shouldn't that be, A celebrity is accused and his (or her) name is made public so that other accusers can come forward to support the accusations already made, all in the hope of securing a conviction, the more accusers there are the more chance the prosecution have of getting that conviction.

Rolf Harris, that bloke off Coronation Street and the revolting Dave Lee Travis were all in the dock today for various rapes and sexual assaults.

How blinkered, they were alleged not proven.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 19:21 ----------

Personally I'd support anonymity for both sides in cases of this nature.

I agree only the loser should be named, by that I mean if an innocent verdict is returned then the accuser should be named

How lazy; in your haste to find something of mine to disagree with you missed the part where I acknowledged missing out the word 'allegedly'.

How convenient, maybe you're the lazy one for not checking before originally posting,

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 19:49 ----------

Supports the view that both or neither should be named until after the verdict which is when the loser should be named.

---------- Post added 07-02-2014 at 19:51 ----------

How lazy; in your haste to find something of mine to disagree with you missed the part where I acknowledged missing out the word 'allegedly'.
How lazy of you not to check before your original comment before posting.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if saying you got it wrong actually cuts it in a libel case. Looking through this thread you have to hope Bill Roache or his friends doesn't read Sheffield Forum or a few members on here have very good lawyers.

..it wouldn't take a good lawyer to determine that no one on this thread is suggesting the jury got it wrong in the Roache case.

Archived