English eating fish

As a Dutchman I am always rather amazed at the lack of "weird food" in Britain, the Dutch have their pickled herrings, salt liquorice, cured horsemeat on bread and so on. It could be that I got used to English food, having been with my English wife for 15 years or so now, but there is one thing I can never get over:

The most horrendous: Brits eat fish and chips, with salt (normal) and vinegar (abnormal!)!

I know people grew up with it, but does it not strike you (as an Englishman) as weird that you eat vinegar on your chips? Seriously? Vinegar is for pickling stuff...

Oh, and why insist on cod everywhere, we are emptying the North Sea faster than one can say "Eastern European", cant we just agree to eat other sorts of fish with vinegar instead? I mean the vinegar pretty much drowns out any flavour anyway?

My mom told me that the vinegar is to hydrate the chips a little bit. It actually does have an effect on the chips itself and therefore do not cause as much inflammation internally when you eat it.

Salt and vinegar is very classic. What is more Northern is chips and curry sauce. :hihi: I moved down South for a little while and got such sticks for even saying those words. I believe they have mayonnaise instead like in the Continents ?

I always found it fascinating.

Chips and vinegar = British style

Fries and ketchup = American style

Fries and mayo = Continental style

Cured horsemeat on bread ? Are you for real ? Really ? I know you guys like your cheese. I was impressed when a dutch colleague of mine took me to a cheese shop to bring back some cheese one time when I was working in the Netherlands. It is interesting cos I noticed that you guys have like spices in your cheese. Is that from combing Indonesian spices to Dutch cheese ? :)

You don't see many sorts of fish in fish and chip shops, apart from cod, haddock and plaice. Maybe they should diversify a bit. I enjoy different kinds of fish, including pollock and smoked mackerel. Am spectacularly allergic to tuna though.

We do have weird food.

We have pickled eggs.

Pork scratchings.

We have suet dumplings on minced beef.

(This is actually a more medieval recipe if I recall from my home econ days. :hihi:)

We have haggis. (Oats and pig's blood?)

We have black puddings. (Pig's blood.)

We have Worcester sauce, and Hendersons. (Which really is a stock + fruits + vinegar)

We have tinned meats from war days. Corned beef? (A cow in a tin ?)

You don't see many sorts of fish in fish and chip shops, apart from cod, haddock and plaice. Maybe they should diversify a bit. I enjoy different kinds of fish, including pollock and smoked mackerel. Am spectacularly allergic to tuna though.

You see a bigger choice of fish down south.

Archived