English eating fish

The vinegar helps with the grease. It should be non-brewed condiment, not vinegar anyway. Obviously you shouldn't use enough to pickle it.

It needs to be a fairly solid meaty fish to handle being battered, deep fried, wrapped in paper & carried home. The texture is important. Cod is perfect.

And kippers are much better than pickled herrings...

I don't eat fish.

So what is the difference between Haddock and Cod? (I don't mean genetically).

I was sent to buy a few lots of FnC's recently, and they asked which one do you want? I didn't know, so I said which is the most popular? They said, people pick which one they like!

I didn't see any significant price difference, so I was lost.

As I say, since I don't eat fish, I could have been asked (from my perspective) which do you want, chicken or beef?

Is the difference similar? (obviously not as similar as chicken vs beef)

Haddock is more tastier than Cod, it's a little bit for a better word, sweeter, as opposed to cod been on the bland side, I personally think is Haddock is tastiest out of the two especially with some parsley sauce draped over the top of it.:thumbsup:

My mom told me that the vinegar is to hydrate the chips a little bit. It actually does have an effect on the chips itself and therefore do not cause as much inflammation internally when you eat it.

Salt and vinegar is very classic. What is more Northern is chips and curry sauce. :hihi: I moved down South for a little while and got such sticks for even saying those words. I believe they have mayonnaise instead like in the Continents ?

I always found it fascinating.

Chips and vinegar = British style

Fries and ketchup = American style

Fries and mayo = Continental style

Cured horsemeat on bread ? Are you for real ? Really ? I know you guys like your cheese. I was impressed when a dutch colleague of mine took me to a cheese shop to bring back some cheese one time when I was working in the Netherlands. It is interesting cos I noticed that you guys have like spices in your cheese. Is that from combing Indonesian spices to Dutch cheese ? :)

Yeah, we have cumin cheese which I love. Also nettle cheese, incredibly tasty!

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 09:24 ----------

its 35 years since I worked in the netherlands and I'm still putting mayo on my chips :hihi:I still miss the amazing pea soups you have there with the thick lumps of pork and bacon incredible with the toast'is ,"snert "i think they called it , what posh people call snot over here :hihi:

btw /but you do have an habit of putting raw onions on everything:suspect:

Mayo is God's gift to humanity! Snert is also great but you have got a variety of that here in peasoup, do have to say snert is much better :)

As a Dutchman I am always rather amazed at the lack of "weird food" in Britain, the Dutch have their pickled herrings, salt liquorice, cured horsemeat on bread and so on. It could be that I got used to English food, having been with my English wife for 15 years or so now, but there is one thing I can never get over:

The most horrendous: Brits eat fish and chips, with salt (normal) and vinegar (abnormal!)!

I know people grew up with it, but does it not strike you (as an Englishman) as weird that you eat vinegar on your chips? Seriously? Vinegar is for pickling stuff...

Oh, and why insist on cod everywhere, we are emptying the North Sea faster than one can say "Eastern European", cant we just agree to eat other sorts of fish with vinegar instead? I mean the vinegar pretty much drowns out any flavour anyway?

This is priceless - the Dutch lecturing the British on cuisine. The blind leading the blind I feel. :P

All the good food in the Netherlands seems to be painted rather than eaten. It lasts longer that way apparently.

To be fair, I assumed the thread title would make clear what this thread was about, but obviously not.

Personally I prefer the British kitchen over the Dutch kitchen, only thing we are better at is snacks and of course fish and chips, as we learned mayo and flavoured batter are the stuff of gods :)

Archived