Brain dead - Our god will intervene

Tragic case of a child dying after would appear to be routine surgery. She has been declared by numerous doctors to be brain dead. She has been moved to a undisclosed location "that shares her family's belief that she still is alive".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/09/brain-dead-teen/4386597/

The parents seem to be god fearing folk, why would they want to keep her heart and lungs working in the hope that their god will intervene?

Assuming they're Christians, isn't the common belief that the dead will be in a 'better place'?

Excuse my ignorance, but I expect this is different to simply being in a coma?

Are there are reports of anybody recovering from that condition?

EDIT:

Telegraph says yes (but they've been wrong before)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9223408/Miracle-recovery-of-teen-declared-brain-dead-by-four-doctors.html

The parents seem to be god fearing folk, why would they want to keep her heart and lungs working in the hope that their god will intervene?

Assuming they're Christians, isn't the common belief that the dead will be in a 'better place'?

Presumably they have not yet accepted that she is in fact dead and are thus still hoping that she may be revived (by divine or other intervention).

If/when they accept that she is indeed dead, presumably they will believe she is with God and grieve in accordance with their faith.

Excuse my ignorance, but I expect this is different to simply being in a coma?

Are there are reports of anybody recovering from that condition?

She's brain dead, no brain activity at all. So pretty much dead.

As for anyone recovering from that condition, I suppose it depends on what (if any) bronze age stories you read.

She's brain dead, no brain activity at all. So pretty much dead.

As for anyone recovering from that condition, I suppose it depends on what (if any) bronze age stories you read.

I did not say that I thought she could be revived, only that presumably her family is clinging to that belief (however unwarranted). I was simply answering your question.

I did not say that I thought she could be revived, only that presumably her family is clinging to that belief (however unwarranted). I was simply answering your question.

My reply wasn't directed to you.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 14:32 ----------

Open question- Does it effect the girl at all if she's kept alive? Or does it have some sought of adverse physical impact. I'm asking because the answer will effect my opinion.

As far as i know she's being kept in a state that a body would be in to say, proceed with organ harvesting.

Blood flowing (though artificial means) to keep the organs in a good condition.

Other than that she's dead.

Open question- Does it effect the girl at all if she's kept alive? Or does it have some sought of adverse physical impact. I'm asking because the answer will effect my opinion.

Well, if she's not kept alive she will presumably die, which is about as adverse a physical impact as you could have.

What do you mean?

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 16:10 ----------

My reply wasn't directed to you.

Apologies.

I think there have been cases of people recovering, but it's more to do with being wrongly classified as brain dead in the first place.

This poor lass has been seen by quite a number of doctors who all agree she is brain dead.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 15:52 ----------

She has been moved to a undisclosed location "that shares her family's belief that she still is alive".

I wonder who is paying for the around-the-clock treatment this girl requires???

Archived