Time to give people the right to die?

Because human beings are, for want of better wording, more important. It's also ripe for unscrupulous relitives to put pressure granny to do herself in so they get the house. That said, as soon as I've had enough (although some days I'd do it now) I'll hop over to dignitas no bother at all.

If you don't allow assisted dying based on the fact that some people my attempt to abuse the system. Then you remove the right for all the genuine people to be able to end their suffering.

This Monday's coronation street will see Hayley Cropper take her own life instead of going through the last painful stages of Pancreatic cancer. This is going to cause debate to whether or not people suffering from terminal illnesses have the right to end their lives and I was wondering where people stand on this issue.

My personal opinion is simple. Everyone has the right to end their lives. If my dog was suffering from a form of illness that meant she was in constant pain and could no longer enjoy her life I would not think twice about putting her down. Why should we have different rules for Human beings?

I'd go so far as to say that if your dog was found suffering miserably like that in your home, you might even be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

For our human loved ones, however, it's the other way around - you'd be prosecuted for helping them end their misery.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 17:06 ----------

Therein lies the crux.

Ending your own life is your own business, ending someone else's is a whole different kettle of fish. It's a difficult situation and whilst I'm not actually against the idea, I think a lot more thought and debate needs to take place before I 'm comfortable with it.

The problem is when someone wishes to take their own life but are incapable of doing so, or would like access to a humane and clean way of doing so in a hospital or similar place, so their families don't have to find them after a potentially messy and/or undignified suicide at home (or in a public place).

I'd go so far as to say that if your dog was found suffering miserably like that in your home, you might even be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

For our human loved ones, however, it's the other way around - you'd be prosecuted for helping them end their misery.

Bang on the nail.

I'm all for assisted suicide, as long as the person assisting was free from prosecution. It is a very contentious issue, trust me if my wife could do it and would agree to do it and be free from prosecution, I'd ask her to.

People can pontificate all they like, but nobody really knows how the ill person truly feels, yes you can have a vague idea but never spot on.

I wish I knew what the drugs are that Hayley Cropper will use. I'd make sure I had some when the time comes that life becomes intolerable.

The older I get the more I dread the thought of having to go in a nursing/old folks home. I have no family and just wouldn't want to go on and on getting older with increasing ill health.

(I am not depressed, nor anticipating my departure any time soon)

It is nobody's business except the family involved.

I am happy with the way the law is. Nor should I vote on this to be honest. Cos it makes it a mockery. As much as TV soaps like to make drama out of drama sake. When it comes to your loved ones, and if you love your family dearly, you wouldn't want them to go away. But at the same time, if the dying person loves you as family too, they will find the will power to fight. They will. That is human strength. A person's will do exist, and when they give up, their body also give up as well. The pain sometimes is not just physical but also a mental one as well, and emotional. When a person have not dealt with everything emotional, they also fight the pain and fear the pain as well, and their will fight against themselves.

I still recall my dear father passing away with cancer. We did everything that he wanted us to deal with which he did not in his life time. The wills. Finding his sibling. Reconciling differences. Anything to make him feel better and make him go with less anxiety and with more peace. Drugs can only do so much.

If people fear this now, then surely you should ask yourself, who is more important to you in this life time ? Whether it is family, loved ones, or it is your job, or whatever ? Who gave birth to you in this life time and why do we have fears in ourselves ? Certain things are destined in life.

This Monday's coronation street will see Hayley Cropper take her own life instead of going through the last painful stages of Pancreatic cancer. This is going to cause debate to whether or not people suffering from terminal illnesses have the right to end their lives and I was wondering where people stand on this issue.

My personal opinion is simple. Everyone has the right to end their lives. If my dog was suffering from a form of illness that meant she was in constant pain and could no longer enjoy her life I would not think twice about putting her down. Why should we have different rules for Human beings?

This is a very emotive subject, you would have to have a heart of stone to not be affected seeing someone suffer in pain, especially a loved one, for whom you would do everything possible to ensure pain was being prevented.

It isn't a simple case of lack of compassion that is preventing assisted suicide from being made legal, so many concerns have been thought about and re-examined over and over again on the issue.

The point of abuse has already been mentioned, that's only one concern, but they're are people with a terminal illnesses suffering enough knowing the time they have is limited. And the added strain of feeling pressured to end their life through feeling they are a burden to those who will be caring for them would make living in the short time they have left more unbearable for most of them.

There aren't many people who would feel easy about assisting someone to die, even if it were legal.

Links from the Royal College of Nursing, and British Medical Association on the subject.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/press_releases/uk/rcn_launches_guidance_for_nurses_on_assisted_suicide

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/bma-policy-assisted-dying

This is a very emotive subject, you would have to have a heart of stone to not be affected seeing someone suffer in pain, especially a loved one, for whom you would do everything possible to ensure pain was being prevented.

It isn't a simple case of lack of compassion that is preventing assisted suicide from being made legal, so many concerns have been thought about and re-examined over and over again on the issue.

The point of abuse has already been mentioned, that's only one concern, but they're are people with a terminal illnesses suffering enough knowing the time they have is limited. And the added strain of feeling pressured to end their life through feeling they are a burden to those who will be caring for them would make living in the short time they have left more unbearable for most of them.

There aren't many people who would feel easy about assisting someone to die, even if it were legal.

Links from the Royal College of Nursing, and British Medical Association on the subject.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/press_releases/uk/rcn_launches_guidance_for_nurses_on_assisted_suicide

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/bma-policy-assisted-dying

Well in Switzerland, Holland and Belgium things are going well. Also all assisted dying means is that a person would be able to acquire the drugs needed to end their life in peace. Why should someone suffer a horrible, long painful death? When we can stop them from having to do so.

And yes it's not just a lack of compassion preventing assisted dying from being made legal. Religious sensitivities are a big reason as well.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 19:31 ----------

I'm all for assisted suicide, as long as the person assisting was free from prosecution. It is a very contentious issue, trust me if my wife could do it and would agree to do it and be free from prosecution, I'd ask her to.

People can pontificate all they like, but nobody really knows how the ill person truly feels, yes you can have a vague idea but never spot on.

Why don't you get help. It's really not too late.

committing suicide is not a solution for any problem or any deadly disease. every one has to die,, but when time comes.

But when your time comes it should be as dignified and as painless as possible. Not being bed ridden and soiling yourself as happens with many diseases.

But when your time comes it should be as dignified and as painless as possible. Not being bed ridden and soiling yourself as happens with many diseases.

But this is the circle of life. We may think that this is undignified, but that is how people are. Maybe people like to believe that even celebrities, or rich people do not do these kind of things, but they do. It makes you think what is human spirit, and what is life all about.

In some culture, the young see the old die, and they know that is a fact of life, and they try to make the most of their own lives. Cos it has been given to them and it is precious.

In England, we filter, and we shield a lot of things away from ourselves, and we live in this knowledge world, but we try and deny certain things from being exposed to us, but that is like brainwashing ourselves of the inevitable.

It will be dignified, if others also pay respect and dignify us of our contributions towards them, and their lives. I remember my mother being ever so grateful at this lady who gave us her own grown vegetables, cos we did not have any. She had to like travelled hours on the train to give us a large portion of her own vegetables, cos we are a large family. At the end of the day, when we leave this world, we can only take away our memories. We cannot take away the money. We may or may not be honored, but if we did some good in the world, then we leave with them in our minds.

It is a psychological, or a spiritual thing, whichever you like to believe in. It's the same.

Modern society can make us selfish, but we still have a choice to choose. Whether we soil ourselves or not, then depends on how much goodness we sow in this lifetime, and if we appreciate those who look after our family. I know my brother donated to the hospital who looked after my father when he past away.

(We may or may not read horror stories in the papers, but everyone is trying their best also. I still remember my dear father having such strong belief in others, that even when he was mistreated and I saw this, he still grit his teeth and not alarmed the nurses, and we also helped as much as we could too, and when we could so that he is more comfortable. Some people forget that, we give birth to others, and we should also be there for those who give birth to us too. That closeness and connection can never be replaced by nurses, or others, no matter how much they can be there for you. Family has a different kind of bond.)

Archived