Serviettes in cafes. Pointless.

It seems to be getting more common. This morning I called in a cafe for a coffee and chocolate cake.

The waitress brought the cake over to the table with the serviette underneath.

What is the point of this? To get to the serviette I had to move the cake which meant creamy chocolate all over my hands and a serviette that was as much use as a £5 watch. Also bits of damp serviette were stuck to my cake meaning 20% of it going to waste.

Why do cafes do this. What is wrong with serving food on the plate and putting the serviette alongside. Is this some new fangled nonsense from the continent?

It seems to be getting more common. This morning I called in a cafe for a coffee and chocolate cake.

What is the point of this? To get to the serviette I had to move the cake which meant creamy chocolate all over my hands and a serviette that was as much use as a £5 watch. Also bits of damp serviette were stuck to my cake meaning 20% of it going to waste.

Why do cafes do this. What is wrong with serving food on the plate and putting the serviette alongside. Is this some new fangled nonsense from the continent?

You shouldn't be eating cake.:cool:

who needs a serviette when you have a tongue?

The proper way surely should be the dolly on the plate and then the serviette separately ? To be honest, sometimes I don't trust the people who wash the plates. Maybe they know this and put it on a serviette instead ? I know that in Starbucks sometimes their plates are a bit icky. Eek.

Sometimes it is best to pretend I did not see it. Ick.

Perhaps it is to minimise washing up - they hope the sticky gunge will end up on the disposable serviette rather than the plate?

The cafe will/should still wash the plate after it's been used tho, so it's really not saving any washing up time whatsoever.

Archived