Selling Silver Coins - how best to realise a good price?

Any advise on how best to sell a collection of pre 1947 silver coins (half crowns, florins, sixpences and threepenny bits). I know there are other posts regarding this, but they are rather dated, hence the new thread!

The rule of thumb was 10 times the face value. Some money shops and jewellers buy them. I sold some Florins for a pound each last year to a jeweller in batley.

Just ring a few local shops and ask.

The rule of thumb was 10 times the face value. Some money shops and jewellers buy them. I sold some Florins for a pound each last year to a jeweller in batley.

But the person buying from you must have ripped you off otherwise they wouldn't have bought them. It's not as though a shop will sit on them for 60 years letting them appreciate, they'll want a return straight away.

But the person buying from you must have ripped you off otherwise they wouldn't have bought them. It's not as though a shop will sit on them for 60 years letting them appreciate, they'll want a return straight away.

Im sure they melt them down in such a way that separates the sterling from the other metals. To be fair, sterling silver jewellery isnt that expensive to buy, in relation to other precious metals. Ive never seen run of the mill coins for sale in a jewellers.

You got done if they were pre-1947, that's less than half their scrap value.

Archived