Plans to make selling privately owned cars with tax illegal

I'd take it as a revenue-generating initiative,

Spot on.

Currently, you don't get your "remaining unused RFL" (as in: not all of it, down to the day).

You get whole month(s) back only.

If you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of cars then the initiative makes sense..to them.

I get the impression there are people within these organisations who sit around a table and concoct these cynical parasitic money spinners.

I may have missed something here as this is news to me... after said date, if you went to look at a car with a view to buying it (private sale), and you decided to, could you legally drive it back home?? is it clear yet what you would have to do...

Spot on.

How? The change means the system operates *exactly* as it does now, except instead of X months of any tax remaining, you have the remainder of the current month only.

If you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of cars then the initiative makes sense..to them.

Why, they stand to make no extra cash from the change except savings due to not having to print tax discs.

I get the impression there are people within these organisations who sit around a table and concoct these cynical parasitic money spinners.

Perhaps, but this is not one of those times.

seriously is this really an issue. From what I understand.

The Seller can cash in the remaining RFL for the whole months remaining.

The Buyer gets the remaining days left on the RFL before being required to tax the vehicle themselves.

Paying your RFL means your car is tax immediately as there will be no requirement to have the paper disk in your car from Oct 2014.

This is a logical and robust method to stop people from buying cars that have no tax on them by choice or by fake tax disks.

No one gets ripped off and the system becomes harder to circumnavigate.

Let's rewind, and highlight the relevant bit you might have overlooked: ;)

Currently, you don't get your "remaining unused RFL" (as in: not all of it, down to the day).

You get whole month(s) back only.

Form V14, reverse, Box B explanatory notice:

So it's a win-win for the DVLA, because they don't refund the seller's part month, and the new keeper has to tax the car pretty much immediately, so THEY also only get a part month, that first month! In other words, they will get the cost of two full months from each keeper, but the keepers will not benefit.

it smacks of sharp practice, and a money making scheme.

So it's a win-win for the DVLA, because they don't refund the seller's part month, and the new keeper has to tax the car pretty much immediately, so THEY also only get a part month, that first month! In other words, they will get the cost of two full months from each keeper, but the keepers will not benefit.

About as wrong as it is possible to be, but that's life.

I thought we'd established that the non-refunded part month, stays with the vehicle, so the new owner taxes it from the start of the next month.

You didn't, that was my first post on this topic.

From the person who said it before you then.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 20:28 ----------

Does anyone think the dvla just might assign or associate the tax with the keeper who taxed it or to their insurance.?

Six months or a few months tax left on used to be a selling point to help you sell a car, looks like thats out of the window now!

I think they must want us to all just use main dealers or webuyanycar and be less likely to get a bargain anymore.

Archived