What's your favourite black and white photo

Does anybody know of a group of photographers from the North-east that used to take pictures of everyday scenes in the early 20th century? I remember seeing them at an exhibition years ago and falling in love with them, but I really can't recall what the group was called?

They are supposed to have been considered trend-setting in everyday photography, so I hope someone has heard of them :)

I've not heard of the group you're describing, but have a look at the work of Tony Ray-Jones.

Pretty much anything by Margaret Bourke White. She was a photographer and photojournalist of the mid 20th Century who made art photos, but always seemed to be on the spot for important events.

There are a lot of her works that are now instantly recognisable - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=margaret+bourke+white&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qhDqUtDUBIHs0gWq7YHYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1358&bih=639

As with some of the other contributions I like that one, particularly with the lovely music which caught my attention.

So much so, that I've chosen this one.

I know you can create your own story about the little girl ,thats one of the qualitys of the photo,

but i've got to admit its the music that directed my thoughts too,for me its got some kind of a french child like sentimental feel about it.

reminded me of how some of the french have got this strange kind of deep sentimental streak in them . plus the way some of the women retain that lovely child like honesty of openly expressing their feelings about anything ,no matter what:hihi:

Archived