More UKIP idiocy..

The question for me is why are we having to rely on bringing in surgeons who can't speak the language?

Doctors/surgeons are well paid professions, so why is there a shortage of qualified Brits to do the job? - It's not as though we have full employment and/or it's a poorly paid profession.

I found it all very bizarre.

Regards

Doom

It would appear to be poor planning.

Professor Steve Field, the NHS's deputy medical director, said the report showed that NHS workforce planning had been "very poor for years".

A shortage of training place for British students is another reason, but that comes under poor planning.

I don't think Labour have the massive automatic following they once had, if the LibDems cannot sort out issues in their own party it doesn't send out a good message, so that leaves the Conservative party and Ukip.

My view is that many people will intend to vote for Ukip but on the day will the old allegiances sway them ?

The question for me is why are we having to rely on bringing in surgeons who can't speak the language?

Doctors/surgeons are well paid professions, so why is there a shortage of qualified Brits to do the job? - It's not as though we have full employment and/or it's a poorly paid profession.

I found it all very bizarre.

Regards

Doom

I don't think the unemployment issue and shortage of doctors can be addressed by shoe-horning jobless youths into the medical profession. You might have ended up with your toe stitched to your ear during your recent operation if that were the case.

The answer to your question though is quite simple.

It costs a fortune to train doctors, which would require increases in taxation.

It takes years to train them, 15 years in some specialities.

It's demanding academically-at least 3 A's at A Level.

Talented A Level students have a vast array of future options which might be more lucrative and less demanding. I know of one GP, with no debt, property abroad who was bemoaning his lot compared to his friends from university who went on to work in the city and retired at 40 with millions in the bank.

Foreign doctors are portable-they can be shipped in to where they're needed on short term or locum contracts, that makes sound economic sense to health trusts.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 09:31 ----------

A shortage of training place for British students is another reason, but that comes under poor planning.

..and lack of money.

[

It costs a fortune to train doctors, which would require increases in taxation.

It takes years to train them, 15 years in some specialities.

It's demanding academically-at least 3 A's at A Level.

Talented A Level students have a vast array of future options which might be more lucrative and less demanding. I know of one GP, with no debt, property abroad who was bemoaning his lot compared to his friends from university who went on to work in the city and retired at 40 with millions in the bank.

Foreign doctors are portable-they can be shipped in to where they're needed on short term or locum contracts, that makes sound economic sense to health trusts.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 09:31 ----------

..and lack of money.

I think you have highlighted a major problem in the education system.

My view is that capable students should pay no university fees if they study for a degree in a subject where there is a skill shortage.

Obviously there will be argument as to which courses would attract this free tuition and the argument that once qualified some of the people will move abroad but I think it is an idea worthy of funding.

Nah.

I'll just not vote for them.

I'll be voting for them too. I don't like everything about them but this agenda of merging all the European countries into one giant superstate, so that we're no longer UK, French, German and Spanish etc etc citizens but EU citizens instead has to be resisted. Its about national identity and local democracy as much as economics.

I'll be voting for them too. I don't like everything about them but this agenda of merging all the European countries into one giant superstate, so that we're no longer UK, French, German and Spanish etc etc citizens but EU citizens instead has to be resisted. Its about national identity and local democracy as much as economics.

I'm not sure whether this post tells us anything about the reading skills or attention to detail of the average UKIPper, but I did say that I won't be voting for them. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure whether this post tells us anything about the reading skills or attention to detail of the average UKIPper, but I did say that I won't be voting for them. :rolleyes:

My bad. :hihi:

I think you have highlighted a major problem in the education system.

My view is that capable students should pay no university fees if they study for a degree in a subject where there is a skill shortage.

Obviously there will be argument as to which courses would attract this free tuition and the argument that once qualified some of the people will move abroad but I think it is an idea worthy of funding.

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I think British students studying medicine or nursing already qualify for grants and bursaries to help with tuition fees.

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 10:09 ----------

There's plenty of people on here have some real problems with UKIP's policies. But why aren't they equally as critical of the Monster Raving Loony ones? Is it because they see UKIP as a credible threat?

I think it's because UKIP and its supporters see themselves as a credible threat, the screaming Lord never did ;)

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I think British students studying medicine or nursing already qualify for grants and bursaries to help with tuition fees.

A relative has just qualified as a dentist and has to repay her bursary.

Slightly different, another relative studying to be a vet has to pay university fees.

Archived