Bradway hotel closing?

Mikes-joiner

• 3 weeks later...

The Castle at Bradway is now to let. Current landlords retiring March. Apparently no takers yet. Not much time, but starting to need some TLC from a new tenant with energy and business ideas to carry it forward. A lot of money was spent to expand the property, but the vibrance of 10-20 years ago may be hard to restore.

The Castle isn't a complete basket case of a pub - if someone takes the lease with Enterprise Inns with the right contract, knows what they are doing and gets the offer, service and atmosphere right it could be great.

Now, I don't claim to have any experience in the pub trade so wouldn't do it myself in reality, however if it was me taking the pub on the aim I think would be

- have a range of real ales on all the 6 handpumps - a couple of regular beers that sell well such as Farmers Blonde and Barnsley Bitter then an ever changing range of guest ales from local breweries.

- a modest but decent wine list

- selection of popular lagers including some good quality imported ones plus maybe UK craft keg

- create a lively atmosphere in the tap room with regulars propping the bar up, bantering nicely with each other and the staff

- create a relaxed, welcoming and comfortable atmosphere in the lounge

- serve food all day with reasonably priced, simple home cooked meals at lunch time and early evening with sandwiches, cheese boards and pork pies available outside of meal times.

- restaurant room serving more upmarket meals at the weekend, room available for hire at other times

- make something more of the beer garden, with BBQs and beer/cider festivals in the summer

- encourage community use with space for volunteer groups to meet

- encourage the formation of pub sports/games teams

- dogs welcome, except in the dining room when used as a restaurant.

- families welcome, except in the tap room.

I don't think a major refurbishment is needed all that urgently, it was redecorated not that long ago, the focus of any investment right now in this area in my mind should be things like the toilets and fault fixing.

Seemed to be doing alright in the Summer.

No chance Castle would become a mini supermarket, but it would be suitable for housing - depends how much someone could afford for conversion. At lunchtime today it was very quiet and I heard the only food they could offer was a bacon sandwich.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived