Petition to stop pubs closing.

You realise the only way to stop a pub from closing is to make it profitable right?

So rather than silly petitions which will do nothing for a failing business, why not go to the pub and spend some money. . .

Not so. Pubcos charge astronomic rents and force landlords to buy beer through the pubco at £50 a barrel over the odds. This forces landlords to charge £.50/pint for beer and customers to drink at home.This is the main reason that pubs can't pay their way and while ever pubcos can close pubs and sell with restricted covenants it will continue to be the case.

I'll be signing it and I find it depressing that a pillar of our culture is fading. Do we want to be more like the USA? Where there are slick yuppie bars and sad taverns full of depressed losers like Mo's?

I don't understand how some corporate pubco controls everything. What happened to breweries and normality? If this pubco continues as it is it will simply kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

I often use Fancyapint.com as a guide incidentally.

Do we want to be more like the USA? Where there are slick yuppie bars and sad taverns full of depressed losers like Mo's?

I gather you've never travelled to the US?

There's great pubs/bars all over the US with lots of choice on tap too.

The main problem is people aren't that bothered about going to the pub these days.

I would certainly say that that's a big factor.

I never go to my local pub. Never even been inside the one closest to me.

If I have a drink with friends we meet in town as they are based all over the city.

Times change and the local pub is unfortunately a victim of these changes.

You realise the only way to stop a pub from closing is to make it profitable right?

So rather than silly petitions which will do nothing for a failing business, why not go to the pub and spend some money. . .

Everyone knows why pubs are failing and it has nothing to do with pub management at landlord level