Petition to stop pubs closing.

Not so. Pubcos charge astronomic rents and force landlords to buy beer through the pubco at £50 a barrel over the odds. This forces landlords to charge £.50/pint for beer and customers to drink at home.This is the main reason that pubs can't pay their way and while ever pubcos can close pubs and sell with restricted covenants it will continue to be the case.

Given that all these things are legal and just part of the business of running a pub, what do you expect a petition to do?

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 08:59 ----------

Our successive governments have ruined our heritage of public houses.

How is it the governments fault?

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 09:00 ----------

So, a company owns pubs; it then rents them in such a way that they can't survive; so they can't generate income for their owners?

Have the Temperance League bought out the pubcos? and set out to rid Britain of the Demon Drink?

The companies are over leveraged, so they either need the excessive rent to be paid, or when the pubs close they can recoup the capital by selling off the property.

So, a company owns pubs; it then rents them in such a way that they can't survive; so they can't generate income for their owners?

Have the Temperance League bought out the pubcos? and set out to rid Britain of the Demon Drink?

Possibly; or maybe a big gang of property speculators...

Given that all these things are legal and just part of the business of running a pub, what do you expect a petition to do?

The companies are over leveraged, so they either need the excessive rent to be paid, or when the pubs close they can recoup the capital by selling off the property.

There you are. You answered your own question. Sadly Pubcos sell off pubs with covenants preventing anyone running it as a pub.

Our successive governments have ruined our heritage of public houses.

Yes,it had to go as its created a method of commuinication it couldnt monitor.

Goverments now have plans to sell drugs so need to squash the alternatives.

There you are. You answered your own question. Sadly Pubcos sell off pubs with covenants preventing anyone running it as a pub.

Assuming that this is true (I'm not saying it is or isn't), are you suggesting that the government should intervene somehow (and how, covenants are legal)?

Assuming that this is true (I'm not saying it is or isn't), are you suggesting that the government should intervene somehow (and how, covenants are legal)?

Coincidentally that is exactly what they did with the bill on local amenities. The Anglers Rest at Bamford is a shining example. Hopefully the Angel at Spinkhill will be another.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/the-northerner/2013/aug/13/bamford-anglers-rest-village-pub

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 09:33 ----------

http://www.camra.org.uk/covenants

Restrictive Covenants

In the last 6 years over 600 pubs have been sold with restrictive covenants imposed preventing any future owner re-opening the pub. Restrictive covenants have been deliberately used to prevent another company or individual re-opening and attempting to make a success of a closed pub. The Office of Fair Trading have acknowledged the potential anti-competitive nature of these covenants.

The pressure CAMRA has brought to bear has seen the large pub companies suspend use of these covenants but they continue to be used by smaller companies.

CAMRA have campaigned to get the Government to act to ban the use of restrictive covenants to prevent closed pubs from re-opening. The Government are currently consulting on plans to do this.

If, as is often the case, another company or individual want to take on and try to make a success of that pub, it is quite wrong for one company to prevent that, simply to try to get those customers to use another of their pubs up the road.

Edited by beer

I gather you've never travelled to the US?

There's great pubs/bars all over the US with lots of choice on tap too.

I have and in New York and other cities that was the case, however it wasn't the case in the small towns. I'm generalising I know. I also noticed a lot of beer was weak and there was a mild stigma to drinking, they seemed to think us Brits were functioning alcoholics.

They changed how the brewing industry worked in the late 80s and early 90s so why can't they change it back?

The answer is because they don't want to. They are trying to build a case against alcohol on health issues, every day you see it in the newspapers. Whilst health is somewhat of an issue, I believe the real reasons are because of associated loss to business with people chucking sickies and the perceived antisocial behaviour, both of which are on subjective stereotypical grounds and the tarring of all drinkers with the same brush