Recommend me a red wine please.

You mean, we're finally going to get supermarket wine fairs twice a year, at which you can buy a crate of 2008 St Georges St Emilion at €5 a bottle, or a pallet of non-descript Côtes du Rhône at €2,30 a bottle? Really?

No way. :love: Really ?

I was just thinking that, we are finally getting cheap table wines like beajoulous.

:hihi: Or maybe we are not the French yet.

This makes me think back to the point about "how come we do not preserve our best foods for our own consumption" ?

No way. :love: Really ?
Really. Twice a year, usually pre-Easter and pre-Xmas, all major and minor supermarket chains in France do it to 'clear the buffers'.

I go every year (November fair) with a local friend over a long weekend, and we stack his Audi 8L to the rafters. Only the good/rare/outstanding deal bottles in crates, and 10L or 20L boxes for the coiffing stuff (€29.99 for a 20L box of Côtes du Rhônes, do the maths ;)).

I'll still nip to Aldi every now and then to check what they have. Tesco also seem to be getting more hits than misses lately, e.g. they ran a £10-a-bottle no-brand champagne promo shortly before Xmas, which was properly outstanding value for money...easily a par with some branded blanc de blancs. 'Wish I'd bought more of it.

Really. Twice a year, usually pre-Easter and pre-Xmas, all major and minor supermarket chains in France do it to 'clear the buffers'.

I go every year (November fair) with a local friend over a long weekend, and we stack his Audi 8L to the rafters. Only the good/rare/outstanding deal bottles in crates, and 10L or 20L boxes for the coiffing stuff (€29.99 for a 20L box of Côtes du Rhônes, do the maths ;)).

I'll still nip to Aldi every now and then to check what they have. Tesco also seem to be getting more hits than misses lately, e.g. they ran a £10-a-bottle no-brand champagne promo shortly before Xmas, which was properly outstanding value for money...easily a par with some branded blanc de blancs. 'Wish I'd bought more of it.

I did not know that. I did find that wines are easy to buy in supermarkets in the Continents. Everywhere I go, I normally check out their supermarket to see what I could try. Most wines are also in crates as you so say. I just buy one or two to bring back. I never understood why they are left in the crate and not bought? Now I know! Cos people go for the better ones.

I did read an article on wines over Christmas and Aldi did make the list. I did wonder if it was any good at all.

I also tried to find a nice bubbly during Christmas and I compared the blanc de blanc with Champagnes. We are so behind the times. I realised that we do not have to buy champagnes because some of the more fizzy wine are delicious ! Even more so. I tried an Italian prosecco at Christmas and it was very refreshing. I think it was about 6 pound or so from Waitrose? Very reasonable.

It makes me think that in many ways, we are actually more snobbish in the UK than anything. Because in the rest of Europe, people see it as an everyday food item. We are so picking cos we have been branded with heavy marketing and keep thinking that champagne or whatever is good.

Archived