Rinsing your mouth after brushing teeth

If you follow 'official' advice, you'd be brushing after every single meal.

NO. Brushing after a meal is wrong; the mouth's then acidity means that you'd be assisting the acid's attack on tooth enamel. Mouthwash, maybe- but delay brushing until at least an hour after eating or drinking.

NO. Brushing after a meal is wrong; the mouth's then acidity means that you'd be assisting the acid's attack on tooth enamel. Mouthwash, maybe- but delay brushing until at least an hour after eating or drinking.

This is quite true. You should never brush immediately after eating a meal, eating acidic fruits or even after vomiting as the acid softens the enamel on your teeth and if you brush, you take some enamel off and it doesn't grow back.

I don't rinse after I brush and it did take some getting used to but it wasn't long.

Conversely- for those who, like me, realise that flouride is both ineffective for reducing tooth decay and most likely harmfull to health (Flouride is a toxic industrial waste product that is difficult to dispose of safely, hence the tendency to dump it in water supplies and pretend it's good for teeth), rinsing immediately after brushing would be a very good idea :)

Incidently- does anyone know of a source in Sheffield for flouride free toothpaste?

Conversely- for those who, like me, realise that flouride is both ineffective for reducing tooth decay and most likely harmfull to health (Flouride is a toxic industrial waste product that is difficult to dispose of safely, hence the tendency to dump it in water supplies and pretend it's good for teeth), rinsing immediately after brushing would be a very good idea :)

Incidently- does anyone know of a source in Sheffield for flouride free toothpaste?

I think a lot if regular toothpastes are fluoride free - I think it says on the tube whether they contain it or not.. I can't comment on the toxicity of fluoride and it's long term health implications but kids that grow up in areas with fluoridated water have better teeth in adult life than kids that grow up in non-fluoridated water so there's a dental benefit at least.

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 19:46 ----------

My morning routine I brush right after waking up, before I have a brew or breakfast how could you eat or drink with toothpaste in your mouth?

All this ‘current advice’ differs between who you listen too, or is outdated with the next ‘research result ‘ etc. I’ll stick to what I been doing thanks.

Hiya - advice moves on over time as we learn more. We can only do the best with the best info we have. Putting a baby to sleep on their front was the advice given a few years ago but not research shows that putting a baby to sleep on their back reduces the risks of cot death / SIDS. Until other advice comes along I think we're best taking it. Thanks for yr response - I'm not in any way questioning the decision you've made re brushing yr teeth, etc, just talking about advice in general.

Fluoride is a neurotoxin linked to many illnesses, that's why it says on the tube "do not swallow"

Why dentists are so obsessed by it I don't know. There's little evidence if any to show it has any benefit anyway.

There are safer ways to keep teeth white and healthy.

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 21:50 ----------

Holland and Barrett sell alloe dent, its nice

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 21:55 ----------

I think a lot if regular toothpastes are fluoride free - I think it says on the tube whether they contain it or not

I think you'll find all standard tpaste has fluoride.

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 21:58 ----------

I think most homes in Sheffield have had fluorinated water since 2009..

I do hope you are wrong, if not I'll be getting a water distiller pronto.

Oh dear, I'm quite disgusted

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/local-stories/exclusive-households-in-region-have-fluoride-added-to-their-water-1-2296251

Yeah I said that in post 6.

An hour after each meal.

And it has the source.

I think a lot if regular toothpastes are fluoride free - I think it says on the tube whether they contain it or not.

[/color]

No- trust me, I've looked at the ingredients list of pretty much every toothpaste found in chemists/supermarkets- never seen one without fluoride in it.

Holland and Barrett sell alloe dent, its nice

Thank you- I'll pop in and get some :)

Archived