How much is this car worth?

there aren't many dealers who won't negotiate. They know that is how it works. My thoughts are that

a) he knows you like it and want it

b) he knows your desperate

and © if you have been back since he knows you're not completely put off

I would go in and tell him (its not the truth, but play a dealer at his game)

1) its an odd colour, which is putting you off and might put others off if ever you came to sell it. So, in that colour you would want a discount

2) you're not desperate and can carry on looking if need be

3) you've seen other cars which appeal, one of which you're going to see tonite/at the weekend/etc, so you may not be back, however if you tempt me with a good price ... offer him your phone number giving him chance to think about it.

Look semi interested in the car, not in love. maybe even look uninterested

If you were trading in he'd be telling you about your car, and I've been there ... the colour is not one in demand, that he can see accidental damage that you can't because he's an expert, your car has the wrong spec. That the make of yours is not highly thought of etc, etc ... all to knock you down

Well it sounds to me as if you've already made your minds up that you're wanting to buy it even though you think it's overpriced, and are looking for someone to back you up that you are making the right decision.

Everyone on here seems to be telling you to leave it well alone and that's not what you want to hear - so only you can make the final decision! :)

Personally, i love the car! But I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £1800 for it. It's my boyfriend that really wants it! I'm trying to dissuade him! Quite unsuccessfully at the minute!

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 13:56 ----------

there aren't many dealers who won't negotiate. They know that is how it works. My thoughts are that

a) he knows you like it and want it

b) he knows your desperate

and © if you have been back since he knows you're not completely put off

I would go in and tell him (its not the truth, but play a dealer at his game)

1) its an odd colour, which is putting you off and might put others off if ever you came to sell it. So, in that colour you would want a discount

2) you're not desperate and can carry on looking if need be

3) you've seen other cars which appeal, one of which you're going to see tonite/at the weekend/etc, so you may not be back, however if you tempt me with a good price ... offer him your phone number giving him chance to think about it.

Look semi interested in the car, not in love. maybe even look uninterested

We've tried all this! He's agreed to knock £150 off the price. We've only been down there once so he doesn't know how interested we are. We told him we were going to view a similar car this afternoon. He also doesn't know that we're desperate to find a car. I hate looking for cars, especially in the cold! So believe me, I couldn't have looked more uninterested if I'd tried! :hihi:

Personally, i love the car! But I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £1800 for it. It's my boyfriend that really wants it! I'm trying to dissuade him! Quite unsuccessfully at the minute!

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 13:56 ----------

We've tried all this! He's agreed to knock £150 off the price. We've only been down there once so he doesn't know how interested we are. We told him we were going to view a similar car this afternoon. He also doesn't know that we're desperate to find a car. I hate looking for cars, especially in the cold! So believe me, I couldn't have looked more uninterested if I'd tried! :hihi:

OK, so the bottom line is you are prepared to pay £1800 for it and the dealer wants £2295 less the £150, so £2145.

So assuming you can afford the extra £345, you need to decide if it's worth spending the extra for a car you both seem to want, and can't find anywhere else, and you need fairly urgently.

If the car is genuine and you are happy with everything except the price then maybe it's worth the extra?

If you intend to keep the car for any length of time (say 3 years?) the difference works out at £115 a year between the two of you - just a thought! :)

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra. I wouldn't pay it. But it's not going to be me driving it, I've got my own car. And it's not my money either, it's my boyfriend that's paying for it, not me. So it's not my decision.

But trying to talk him out of it is not easy! He's frustrated because he's been looking for a car for around a month and this is the first one he's seen that he really likes. I think he's rushing into buying it because he's worried that someone else is going to get there first! He knows it's overpriced but I think he likes it so much that he's going to buy it anyway despite the fact that myself and everyone on here are advising him against it :(

He said he got the car at an auction.

The car is in perfect condition, there's not a mark or scratch on the body work and the leather interior looks almost new.

It sounds like you really want the car, so go for it.

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 15:10 ----------

If you decide to buy please do the full hpi and check the vcar.

Buying with your heart not your head clouds your judgement, saying that though weve all done it.! Hope it turns out to be straight and hes happy.

The garage will have probably done that already, just ask the garage.

If you decide to buy please do the full hpi and check the vcar.

Buying with your heart not your head clouds your judgement, saying that though weve all done it.! Hope it turns out to be straight and hes happy.

Thank you :)

I've managed to put him off for today. Hopefully he'll think about it and realise the price is just too high.

Archived