Motorway Pubs Now Open!

First motorway pub offers deadly temptation to drivers.

Opening of Wetherspoon's at M40 services alarms campaigners but chain says: 'We do not live in a nanny state'.

The Hope and Champion, the new JD Wetherspoon pub at Beaconsfield services on the M40.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/20/first-motorway-pub-temptation-drivers-wetherspoon-m40-services

In theory, this is a good move but in reality, it is like putting a gun shop in a war zone :huh:

Wetherspoon's, best place for them..on a motorway, if it keeps them off the highstreet.

I don't see the problem. Just because you go to a pub, doesn't mean you have to drink alcohol.

I regularly drive to the pub on a Saturday evening, not once have I been tempted to drink though.

They have pubs at airports. They prefer it if the pilots don't neck a bottle of Glenlivet before each flight.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 11:13 ----------

Wetherspoon's, best place for them..on a motorway, if it keeps them off the highstreet.

I find it odd that folk slag off Wetherspoons. I presume a pub chain started by an individual 30 years ago, and now owns 800 pubs and hotels must be doing something right. The "Scores on the Doors" always seems to rate them highly.

Good news as far as I'm concerned.

A place that will offer:

1. Reasonably priced food, unlike the shops at services.

2. Real ale for those not driving.

3. Somewhere comfortable to sit.

4. Nice toilets.

If people driving are unable to restrain themselves from having a few beers just because they're available, then as someone mentioned above, they shouldn't be driving.

I nearly always have a beer when I go to a Spoons, but last Saturday my Mrs treated me to breakfast at the Spoons in Chapeltown. Because I was driving I had a diet coke with it.....it's not complicated. :loopy:

Regards

Doom

First motorway pub offers deadly temptation to drivers.

Opening of Wetherspoon's at M40 services alarms campaigners but chain says: 'We do not live in a nanny state'.

The Hope and Champion, the new JD Wetherspoon pub at Beaconsfield services on the M40.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/20/first-motorway-pub-temptation-drivers-wetherspoon-m40-services

In theory, this is a good move but in reality, it is like putting a gun shop in a war zone :huh:

The police are going to be all over that place. They will know itll be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I find it odd that folk slag off Wetherspoons. I presume a pub chain started by an individual 30 years ago, and now owns 800 pubs and hotels must be doing something right. The "Scores on the Doors" always seems to rate them highly.

Wherever I go on holiday or for a sporting event the first thing I always check is the location of the Spoons.

For the ice hockey in Hull and Nottingham we always frequent the Spoons.

When I go on holiday I always drag my long suffering Mrs into the various Spoons. Last year I managed the Torbay full house....Torquay x 2, Paignton x 2 and Brixham. :hihi:

This year we're off to Bournemouth (we do know how to live the high life) and I've already got all the local spoons on my phone. :blush:

Regards

Doom

I can't see a problem really.

Whats to stop someone getting blind drunk at home, then hopping in the car and going somewhere???

It's a pub thats situated on a road, last time I looked 99% of pubs were situated on a road of some kind, and many had their own car park.

I can see it doing a roaring trade for the coach brigade.

I was thinking that...unless the coach drivers (and other non-drinking passengers) don't want a load of lairy Marys and drunk skunks on the coach with them for the rest of the journey! I wouldn't, although (somewhat contrarily) I would like to be one of the drunken ones. In fact, if I ever had to endure a long coach journey, I would probably want to be generally anaesthetised, not just drunk.

Archived